Component C146 and heath of solderiron

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
troed

Re: Component C146 and heath of solderiron

Post by troed »

zChris wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:57 am I cant add a CPU and patch it with small cables?
(Sometimes this needs to be said)

I can, you can't.

I wouldn't, though, since the amount of work involved is higher than the cost of a new board.

But here's the positive: You _can_ get good at (de)soldering. It requires studying some theory (there are excellent solder technique videos on youtube) and a lot of practice. You need to understand how a PCB is put together (old and new .. ) to understand what happens when soldering and why a via suddenly "disappears".

You seem to have a lot of the right equipment, so while I agree with everyone else that this board isn't likely to boot again, you can definitely use it to train with.

/Troed
Steve

Post by Steve »

My little advice list for de-soldering:
  • "If it does not easily come out, it isn't properly de-soldered yet"
  • A properly de-soldered chip/socket should fall out with zero force, besides leg tension.
  • If the solder is being troublesome, re-apply lead free solder before attempting again
  • If you have a heat-gun, a short blast of hot air is an easy way to fully release a stubborn chip/socket
zChris

Post by zChris »

Great advices @Steve

@troed i take that as a challenge ;)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@zChris I hope you manage it but it will be a difficult repair for even an experienced electronics engineer.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
zChris

Post by zChris »

Thanks @PhilC , it will mostly be a "winding down at the evening" project.

Regarding the capacitor, i should be able to replace it with this one https://www.electrokit.com/produkt/kera ... p0-2-54mm/ ?

/zChris
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

That quotes 1nf. Should be 100nf. But the capacitor is the least of your problems right now.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Most ST decoupling caps I've encountered are marked 104 where it's readable, so as exxos said, 100nF.

Whilst I understand your desire to fix it, as I've been in similar scenarios, if you're just going to use it for a donor board, then repairing it will not enhance your solder skills at all, and you may just end up with an unstable machine.

You're better using it as a training platform for de-soldering, and if you want to work on your general soldering skills, then buy some cheap electronic kits from eBay or Amazon to build.

ST mainboards are fragile these days, they are around 30 years old, so need to be handled with care to prevent unseen mechanical failures, such as cracked vias or tracks, plus they do not get on with overheating.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”