Which CF cards work with the IDE to CF converter for Falcon?

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
photonstorm

Which CF cards work with the IDE to CF converter for Falcon?

Post by photonstorm »

The subject says it all! I know the Falcon can be picky about which CF cards it will actually accept for the IDE to CF converter, so can anyone recommend a brand / model of card to buy that will work?

Cheers,

Rich
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which CF cards work with the IDE to CF converter for Falcon?

Post by exxos »

Sandisk are normally the ones which are less picky than other brands. I use a sd2ide adapter in mine.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
derkom

Post by derkom »

exxos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am I use a sd2ide adapter in mine.
Seconded. After running into way too many CF cards that just wouldn't play nice, I started using one of these (random Amazon link, it's a Chinese product you can find anywhere). Haven't had a single problem since.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oddly I've never had issues, but maybe I only have decent CF cards :) I recommend anything by Transcend, they're the bee's knees.
thtna71

Post by thtna71 »

And an additional question: what's the maximum size that will be accepted by a falcon if I use a compact flash card ? 4gb ?
Steve

Post by Steve »

As far as I know you could put pretty much any size you want in it, as long as you partition it to the TOS standards, ie; 1gb max size for the falcon. There may be limits to the maximum amount of partitions too. Honestly I'd recommend a 4gb transcend 'industrial' CF card as it uses more resilient memory.
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

photonstorm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm The subject says it all! I know the Falcon can be picky about which CF cards it will actually accept for the IDE to CF converter, so can anyone recommend a brand / model of card to buy that will work?

Cheers,

Rich
You might consider durable SLC based CF cards like the Transcend Industrial 2GB CompactFlash I card - (TS2GCF300) - which works in the Falcon.
thtna71

Post by thtna71 »

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”