Re: H5C1- firST STeps

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

Thanks, @exxos
FOR GREAT JUSTICE. TAKE OUT EVERY ZIG
800xl+U1mb, STfm, STe, 030
JezC

Post by JezC »

The post has arrived & a few goodies from the store are now in my possession!
:yay2: :dualthumbup: :cheer: :thumbup:

So, if I can brave the temperatures in the study later this evening, I will start to assemble the H5C1 board.

Thanks @exxos and support staff for yet another speedy delivery!
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, not quite as quick a build as I'd intended...(photos to follow...if only to keep @rubber_jonnie happy! ;) ) but I've now got the basic bare minimum build soldered up.

Next question was about the jumper settings - I'm expecting to basically follow the settings for the H5A3 (which will be a job for tomorrow night now), then fit the various chips in the sockets & see if she boots to the desktop.

Given my recent run of (bad) luck, I suspect that won't be the case...so I will then have to fit the serial socket & use DiagROM from there (if that works, of course).

Anyway, the good lady has just been to see why I've not yet come to bed,...so time to wrap it up for this evening.

(Yes, that is a massive thumb-print on the top of my head... :lol: :roll: )
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 pm Ok, not quite as quick a build as I'd intended...(photos to follow...if only to keep @rubber_jonnie happy! ;) ) but I've now got the basic bare minimum build soldered up.

Next question was about the jumper settings - I'm expecting to basically follow the settings for the H5A3 (which will be a job for tomorrow night now), then fit the various chips in the sockets & see if she boots to the desktop.

Given my recent run of (bad) luck, I suspect that won't be the case...so I will then have to fit the serial socket & use DiagROM from there (if that works, of course).

Anyway, the good lady has just been to see why I've not yet come to bed,...so time to wrap it up for this evening.

(Yes, that is a massive thumb-print on the top of my head... :lol: :roll: )
I'm stuck in bed with sinusitis, it's been nearly a week since it kicked off. I need those photos to keep me going since my own workshop build has stalled a bit with being ill. Also why there fewer posts from me and they are at odd times of the day!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Oh no, that's not good!

Hope you recover soon.

:awwww:

I'll try to post some pictures and any further progress later this evening.
JezC

Post by JezC »

No pictures of the build yet...sorry @rubber_jonnie

However, I did get the rest of the soldering completed & fitted the jumpers.

I even managed to start pulling the selection of chips together (by 'borrowing' them from my H4 build as a temporary first step).

So, a bit of plugging in of the chips to complete & then to try and see if it boots...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 pm No pictures of the build yet...sorry @rubber_jonnie

However, I did get the rest of the soldering completed & fitted the jumpers.

I even managed to start pulling the selection of chips together (by 'borrowing' them from my H4 build as a temporary first step).

So, a bit of plugging in of the chips to complete & then to try and see if it boots...
Looking forward to the results.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Struggling to get the pictures off my 'phone at the moment (not sure whether to blame Windows or the update to the Android photo app...or BOTH!

:headbang: :mad: :chairsmack: :smackbum: :cussing: :stickwhack:

Anyway, tried it with all essential chips fitted (no floppy) & it booted to the desktop fine & I can see the colour Fuji of TOS 1.4 - yay!

So, found an old floppy lead from a PC (has a 34 way IDC at one end, then a short cable length to the 5.25" connector, then a 3.5" connector, a slightly longer run of cable & then a twist of cables 10-16 & another 3.5" connector) & connected that into one of my Gotek drives (borrowed from another ST for this test).

Powering up with that connected to the first 3.5" drive & it's recognised by the hacked TOS 1.4...but it shows a row of bombs & never gets to the desktop. Dang it! Oh fluffy bunnies...

Doesn't seem to matter which disc image I select on the Gotek, the results seems to be the same.

I guess I'll have to solder in the external Floppy drive connector and/or 19 way ACSI connector & try with one of those to see if it's something relating to the cable or a generic DMA problem (though the same DMA & FDC chips were working fine in my H4). This is running with the 68k in the PLCC socket - no accelerators or Blitter involved at this stage (and again that 68k was working fine in the H4 board).

I might get chance to fire up the soldering iron later this evening & fit one or both connectors..will try & post another update if I get anywhere.
JezC

Post by JezC »

OK, so with no USB drive in the Gotek (programmed with Flash Floppy...not that I think that is in any way related) it does boot to the desktop but if I then insert the USB drive, it bombs & reboots when I double click the floppy drive icon.

Wil have to pick this up tomorrow, time permitting - so near & yet so far...sigh
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Sounds similar to the issues I've been having with my build. I haven't figured out what's causing the problem yet either.

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”