H5C1- firST STeps

Share your building progress here!
JezC

Re: H5C1- firST STeps

Post by JezC »

@DaveC It's a bit frustrating to say the least!

I just tried an IMP DMA chip but there was no difference.

With a bit of luck I will get time to try it booting from an external drive (floppy and hard drive) later tonight.

I'm still not sure if the floppy cable is part of the problem (I've not used this on any Atari before... it's from a PC) - what cable are you using?
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I used a floppy cable that I'd used with my STe previously, that came from a pc, without issue even with 2 drives attached to it. I don't really have any spare ICs so only one I could swap was the WD1772.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC just in case you've connected it here, do not use the twisted part of the cable. It has to be a straight cable AFAIK
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@PhilC Yes, I am using the straight through part of the cable...thanks for the suggestion though.

I will solder in the ext floppy & ACSI connectors next to see if either of those work.

Final option might be the Trudie board...but that's not yet been tried with my CFcards...
JezC

Post by JezC »

DaveC wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 pm I used a floppy cable that I'd used with my STe previously, that came from a pc, without issue even with 2 drives attached to it. I don't really have any spare ICs so only one I could swap was the WD1772.
I might be able to test the cable on my H4 board...but so far that's only been tried with an external floppy.
Probably the next step if the ext floppy/hard drive tests don't work
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC all the jumpers correct and do you have a gal fitted?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

No GAL... I'm pretty sure the jumpers are set the same as on my H4 (except that is using ext drive B as drive A).

I'll find a way to post photos over the weekend & then hopefully someone can spot the problem!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Didn't someone else a while ago have problems with gotec and it turned out to simply be a iffy cable ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Quite possible... which is why I want to test the cable in my working H4 & test the H5 with my external floppy which I have been using with the H4 in the past.

I hate having more than one unknown at a time...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, so I've found that the Gotek has fried a couple of USB pen drives now...presumably when I've connected a floppy cable the wrong way round (I'm guessing here as it was working fine in the same Gotek with Flash Floppy on an original ST but has never worked on the H5C1 or even my H4).

Ho hum...now trying to find a working floppy drive...but I think I'm going to have to pull one from a working STF/M...the Epson drives from my two working STEs are not working either (I knew one was faulty before...didn't remember the second one being Donald Duck'd too though.)

So, next job is to pull apart a working system (after checking the floppy works OK this time) & try that floppy in the H4 and then in the H5C1...but that won't be tonight. :( :roll:

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”