Wanted: Boxed Atari Falcon 030

List your Atari wares and wants here.
Robson

Re: Wanted: Boxed Atari Falcon 030

Post by Robson »

alexh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 pm Thanks to @Robson aka Robert Tercsi's tireless work and attention to details there are high quality open source printing details for making your own replica Atari Falcon 030 box. You'd have to quite a few to get the price down however a group recently started selling them ready made for £40

https://retroboxes.uk/producto/atari-fa ... puter-box/
Interesting.... :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

@Robson I saw you took down the boxes from Github. I was wondering if you were annoyed that these people didn't ask your permission or something?
Robson

Post by Robson »

Steve wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm @Robson I saw you took down the boxes from Github. I was wondering if you were annoyed that these people didn't ask your permission or something?
Yes that's exactly the case but it's partly my bad as well. On Atari-forum I wrote "One condition: strictly be used as repro, so no alterations allowed." And also asked for personal use as well. As alexh pointed out it's being sold now on that website, obviously taken from github and altered.

My boxes have a small text on the bottom closing flap that's not visible when the box is fully assembled (pretty sure that's not there any more). Also, they were professionally made: printed, cut, folded and glued on a manufacturing line, not sold on DIY bases.

I believe that if you make something available for the community they should respect what you asked for. I don't want to be the star and having my name all over or being drama queen either but I didn't feel it's used as I wanted them to be used so took them down and will change where they'll be available.

My error of judgement was that I only wanted them to be accessible at a known place, however as it seems github's license (that I didn't use before) that was associated with the repo allowed almost everything, overwriting the things I asked for and published in the read.me.

Probably I wouldn't have been pissed off if somebody asked me at least. I'm not after the money that's always secondary for me when it comes to my hobby.
This was not my original plan, I want people to enjoy them but also meeting my 2 conditions (no alteration or sold for profit as a product). I don't think I asked too much.

These are available from me any time. Also, working with Maarten (Atari Legend) so they might host as well. Their database is under a different type of license not allowing commercial purposes.
Robson

Post by Robson »

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the post. So please sell all your falcons to tronic :).
mikro

Post by mikro »

Just to clarify: github doesn't force you to use any concrete license, you can choose whatever you like (either from a list of the most well known ones or just supply your own). So perhas you had just chosen the first it offered to you?

Also, I'm going to play devil's advocate here: while your public offering is highly appreciated, not all people (like me) have the means of producing such drawings. So I would be super happy to find those boxes being sold somewhere. So I wouldn't immediately suspect some evil plan there, it may be a community service exactly as you planned (with some margin to cover expenses of running the shop).
Robson

Post by Robson »

mikro wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 pm Just to clarify: github doesn't force you to use any concrete license, you can choose whatever you like (either from a list of the most well known ones or just supply your own). So perhas you had just chosen the first it offered to you?
I've never said it otherwise. I took the blame when said my error of judgement as first time user. I made it available a year ago and forgot about the whole thing. Just checked after this posts and wasn't happy so took it down. They're now back where they were. Thanks for the info, and doing my job here (I should have done my research a year ago, I know).
I also added an STBook battery pack box template there.
mikro wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 pm Also, I'm going to play devil's advocate here: while your public offering is highly appreciated, not all people (like me) have the means of producing such drawings. So I would be super happy to find those boxes being sold somewhere. So I wouldn't immediately suspect some evil plan there, it may be a community service exactly as you planned (with some margin to cover expenses of running the shop).
This is what I said to a friend. On one hand I find it useful, on the other hand I don't like it. No one need to produce the drawings, I've done it and still available. As I see from that website it is mainly a cardboard printing service and you have to assemble your boxes yourself. I know the costs of manufacturing and it is not massively overpriced. Also, it's out there now, available if anybody want it this way.

Let's just please give this topic back to tronic. Happy to discuss elsewhere if needed. Thank you.
tronic

Post by tronic »

I have one - boxed in good condition, refurbished. Might be willing to part with it for £3500. :geek:
alexh

Post by alexh »

tronic wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:10 pm
tronic wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm I know it's a long shot but I've always regretted selling my Atari Falcon. Please get in touch if you have one available for sale. Many thanks :)
I have one - boxed in good condition, refurbished. Might be willing to part with it for £3500. :geek:
You do realise that it is YOU that you're replying to?? :roll:
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
Steve

Post by Steve »

tronic wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:10 pm I have one - boxed in good condition, refurbished. Might be willing to part with it for £3500. :geek:
Try pm'ing @tronic and see if he answers :)
mikro

Post by mikro »

Btw this is also a nice demonstration why one has to be careful with selling gear to 'fellow Atarians'. In 2021 you read a heartbreaking story of a sold Falcon from the childhood (so one would be tempted to offer a fair price to the guy), two years later selling it for 3500 UKP.

Return to “ATARI FOR SALE & WANTED”