WANTED: Atari 400 Keyboard

List your Atari wares and wants here.
PuddyTat

WANTED: Atari 400 Keyboard

Post by PuddyTat »

Seems my membrane is dead with only a handful of keys working (Have checked using a probe directly with the connector and can get other keys to work).

Based in the UK
Aeberbach

Re: WANTED: Atari 400 Keyboard

Post by Aeberbach »

Ideal opportunity to convert: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... _retrofit/ - don't know what his plans for availability are yet.

I had a 400 and I remember it as the worst keyboard I have ever used. It was bad even by membrane standards. Back in the 80s I remember seeing mechanical key switch conversions available for it, used them at a RMIT holiday course I attended. Only made going home to my membrane-equipped 400 worse!
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I guess, back in the day, I could really understand the appeal to replacing the keyboard, but today, I really cannot understand why someone would want to replace that beautiful 70s retro-future membrane keyboard with anything but another identical keyboard. Yes, it was horrible to type on, but it is so stylish. It looks like something straight out of the Aliens universe. Today, if you're doing tons of typing, why in the world would you want to do it on an Atari 400 anyway?! Buy a cheap, used 800XL and type away at your heart's content, but why butcher a 400?

I know everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them, and more power to them, but I'll never understand this one.

To the OP, if you're just wanting to replace your original 400 keyboard with another one, Best Electronics seems to still have them in stock for $30 USD, or about £22.

Go to https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/addendum.htm and search for CA017999.

I have no idea what shipping from the U.S. to the U.K. will run at the moment, or if Brad will consider it (he's getting cantankerous in his old age), but these seem to be NOS, never used, and you probably won't find any of those anywhere else, and maybe not even from him for long.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
AndresPlazaR

Post by AndresPlazaR »

PuddyTat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:03 pm Seems my membrane is dead with only a handful of keys working (Have checked using a probe directly with the connector and can get other keys to work).

Based in the UK
As @bfollowell mentioned, the ones that Best Electronics have a NOS. I bought one, thinking mine was broken, but in reality was a resistor. So, I have this new membrane keyboard available. If you want try to buy it in BE and, if Brad won't send it to the UK, let me know. (I'm based in U.S.).

PXL_20211026_134221695.jpg
PXL_20211026_134221695.jpg (174.81 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Andres
--
Andres Plaza R.
Twitter: @AndresPlazaR
PuddyTat

Post by PuddyTat »

AndresPlazaR wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:46 pm As @bfollowell mentioned, the ones that Best Electronics have a NOS. I bought one, thinking mine was broken, but in reality was a resistor. So, I have this new membrane keyboard available. If you want try to buy it in BE and, if Brad won't send it to the UK, let me know. (I'm based in U.S.).

PXL_20211026_134221695.jpg

Andres
Hi Andres,
Not had a reply back from BE so if you're happy to post to the UK, happy to purchase this off you and you get your money back!

If I haven't heard back by tomorrow morning (about 12hr time), I'll drop you a Private Message.

Had a closer look at mine and there are a number of the tracks that have gone black right where the membrane goes under the top covering - possibly corroded.

@bfollowell I want the original look and feel, never having owned one when growing up. I also prefer them to be as original as possible (however if I get a 2nd then that will get all the mods, bells and whistles... :lol: )

Cheers,
Duncan
PuddyTat

Post by PuddyTat »

@AndresPlazaR Message sent as no reply from BE
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

@PuddyTat You might be all set already but I just saw this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12498085599 ... SwfAxhfeat
PuddyTat

Post by PuddyTat »

Aeberbach wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:54 pm @PuddyTat You might be all set already but I just saw this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12498085599 ... SwfAxhfeat
Thanks and still looking as unfortunately no replies to my PMs to @AndresPlazaR My concern is the eBay one isn't listed as working and it has a dark trace visible. Will try BE yet again.
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

PuddyTat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:40 am Will try BE yet again.
Since your last reply, I not only emailed and heard back from Brad, but ordered a NOS keyboard, speaker, and interlock switch plunger, and received them all today! It's beautiful BTW.

Did you type a subject line like Brad suggests, so that it gets his attention? My subject was Atari Sales inquiry, Customer # ######.

If you haven't dealt with him before, you obviously won't have a customer number, but I'd go with the sales inquiry. That's sure to get his attention and keep it out of his spam filters.

I guess it could be him not wanting to bother because it involves international shipping, but I know he always did that in that past. I've heard that he's getting a little more cantankerous in his old age, but I've really not had any issues, other than he has now lowered his maximum items per order to three. I've always had excellent dealings with Brad.

If you decide to try again, I wish you luck getting in touch with him.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
PuddyTat

Post by PuddyTat »

@bfollowell I did include that in my subject as suggested, however moved from my yahoo to my sky email and got an answer.

Currently arranging UPS pickup via the company I work for s shipping via USPS is double the price of the keyboard! Brad is happy for me to arrange the UPS uplift too so fingers crossed!

Return to “ATARI FOR SALE & WANTED”