DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
Badwolf

Re: DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm
Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 pm Right, @exxos. Not wishing to be 'that guy', but it works here, guv. :roll:

...and I've just checked and MiNT works too.
But you have problems still with mint at 16mhz ?
Nono, Mint has a problem if I try to feed servicing blitter into the AltRAM equations too. This is lightly modified stock.

Maybe thing to do is just send you this board back for you to try. Could be that there is a bad solder joint or something on it causing the issues. The H5 works fine with PLCC or DIP 68K and the TF536. Kinda out of ideas now.
Yep, we could do a swapsie.

I'm guessing if it's not that, then it's a fundamental STE/ST difference. In which case I'd need to pick up an old ST board or borrow an H5 to scope them out. No bloody space, is this problem! :(

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 pm Can you give this firmware a crack when you're back? If it doesn't work either, I'm going to have to have a proper head-scratch.
Still the same problems.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:28 pm
Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 pm Can you give this firmware a crack when you're back? If it doesn't work either, I'm going to have to have a proper head-scratch.
Still the same problems.
Well balls. That exact JED works fine here.

So differences are:-

* Mobo revision (obviously)
* ST v STE glue/other chips
* PSUs (I mention this as Frank is having SDRAM problems that neither Steve nor I have seen with DFB and there's a genuine possibility this is a factor as there are a mix of proper 3V3 buffers and [available] 4V buffers on various boards)
* CPU

First one might be capacitance related? Dunno. Not much I can do about that without laying hands on your board, but that's really a last resort.

The second is possible, but I can't really see how -- the SDRAM stuff is 'internal'. The PSG chip could be affecting Frontbench, though. I consider that extremely likely, in fact, but that's not really the item under investigation ATM.

The third instinctively seems unlikely, the SDRAM, CPLD and buffers are all 3V3 driven with an nice big regulator for their size, but I wouldn't rule it out. Fortunately I do have an Exxos PSU which, when I get around to building up, will let me increase confidence there.

The last (CPU) is obviously possible, but again hard to see exactly how, but they're small and easy enough to post so simple test can be arranged.

So what I suggest, @exxos, is if you don't mind sending me back that board *and the CPU you're using*, I'l test it verbatim here. If it doesn't work for me with your CPU we'll have narrowed it down. If it does then I'll send you my card to try instead.

Finally, I'll check which buffers are on your board and if they're the 4V ones, I'll swap 'em out as I've recently been able to buy the proper 3T ones again.

Cheers,

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@Badwolf OK will send it back ASAP. But I half expect it will work for you.

It may be worth getting yourself a STFM to work with for dev-work rather than STE. The STE is a lot more forgiving on timings and stuff than the STFM is. I suspect you would have more issues on a STFM than I am seeing on a H5 aswell. As its inherently more buggy to start with.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am @Badwolf OK will send it back ASAP. But I half expect it will work for you.

It may be worth getting yourself a STFM to work with for dev-work rather than STE. The STE is a lot more forgiving on timings and stuff than the STFM is. I suspect you would have more issues on a STFM than I am seeing on a H5 aswell. As its inherently more buggy to start with.
Yeah, probably a good idea. Will keep my eye out for mobos.

I'll change those chips if they're the 4V ones at the very least and will give me a chance to test with a different CPU.

We'll decide which one I send back depending on test results.

PITA! :roll:

BW
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Badwolf I should (finally!) have the final parts to build my board arriving later this week...but with great timing (not!) I'm away on business from late Friday evening for just over a week.
:mad:

I'm hoping to get a colleague to build it up in my absence (if I can give clear enough details on what to do), so with a bit of luck I will be ready to try it in about a fortnight...

This will be tested in a working H4 board (I've still not had the time to fix the floppy access issues on my H5C1 board...but I might be able to use the TRUDIE board with that instead if all else fails & the H4 gives different results again).

I'll try to keep an eye on the forum for any progress while I'm over in the States...but good luck with the investigations in the meantime!

Did I mention how sick of this parts shortage I am? I've spent all today working around some ways to use an alternative to an LM73 temp sensor on over 30 of our products for the start of next month...
:headbang: :pullhair: :cussing:
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

JezC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:28 pm This will be tested in a working H4 board (I've still not had the time to fix the floppy access issues on my H5C1 board...but I might be able to use the TRUDIE board with that instead if all else fails & the H4 gives different results again).
OK, thanks Jez. It will be good to get a second data point for which is effectively an STF.

If Exxos' and my theory is correct, it sadly won't work properly, but it would be great to confirm.

I've started looking around for ST motherboards.
Did I mention how sick of this parts shortage I am? I've spent all today working around some ways to use an alternative to an LM73 temp sensor on over 30 of our products for the start of next month...
:headbang: :pullhair: :cussing:
It's an absolute arseache. :roll:

BW
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Badwolf Sadly the only working boards with 64 pin DIP sockets are the remake boards.

I do have 3 STEs but haven't got round to building the PLCC to DIP conversion board yet (and no 3D printer to make the fake CPU).

I do have a reasonable number of working STF/M boards if all other avenues fail to turn up a viable patient.

(Parts shortage comments deleted to avoid deletion of this post!) ;)
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

JezC wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:34 pm @Badwolf Sadly the only working boards with 64 pin DIP sockets are the remake boards.
I do have a reasonable number of working STF/M boards if all other avenues fail to turn up a viable patient.
Thanks, Jez. Exxos has offered an old board he can't lift many parts off that I may be able to use for a bit of debuggery in the short term. :)

BW
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Badwolf Ok, finally back from the US (and fighting the jet lag).,..but I have the CPLD, SDRAM plus buffers/level shifters, oscillator & regulator fitted.

Still to fit the caps & then the headers & the voltage select for the osc...then to try & program the CPLD I guess.

Won't get any further with this tonight though...

Return to “DSTB1 & DFB1 booster by BadWolf”