Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
arkadiusz.makarenko

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 pm

dan_bremen wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm
ok, this is very weird...

After rebooting several times I found a way to make it working. I started the ST without the USB stick inserted and inserted it 2 or three seconds after boot. Then suddenly the manager was loaded and I managed to assign the images to the slots

After that I upgraded FF to v2.13 again, it continued working without issues and I managed to play 2 o 3 games. I didn't need to remove the stick anymore as in every reboot the floppy loaded the selected slot straight away. I was very happy.

As it was late in the night I switched off the Atari. Today, I was going to load some new games and... the same problem happens again! I didn't touch anything since the last day and I cannot manage to go back to the manager or the images...

If I go to slot 000 I am stuck in loading FF manager
If I go to another slot with a preassigned game it does not load the game but goes to the green desktop.

If once in the desktop I go to the floppy drive and try to open the contents I can see the folder but trying to open a PRG file returns an error saying drive A coud not be opened.

BTW Both USB sticks are from different brand and model and both worked the other day. I'm starting to think that maybe this GOTEK is defective because this doesn't make any sense...
I have few Goteks, and quality of build is not perfect. I would say that chances to get defective board are quite high.

I would downgrade FF to some older version to check if it is not a bug in newer firmware.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm

What model of Gotek do you have? There is a number next to the 34 pin connector. I have heard some are not entirely compatible so worth checking.

Otherwise it may be a problem drive. Can you test it on another machine?
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

dan_bremen

Post by dan_bremen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Model is SFRC922D, I will try to downgrade again but for the moment I'm getting "ERR" on the screen when trying so maybe I will need to flash again with the PC :?

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 pm

That model is OK, can you post a pic of your jumpers on the Gotek please.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

arkadiusz.makarenko

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm

dan_bremen wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm
Model is SFRC922D, I will try to downgrade again but for the moment I'm getting "ERR" on the screen when trying so maybe I will need to flash again with the PC :?
I would suggest to order new Gotek. It is only £15?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”