Internal Gotek/FlashFloppy and external disk drive

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Internal Gotek/FlashFloppy and external disk drive

Post by sandord » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:31 pm

I installed a Gotek with FlashFloppy in my ST a while ago. Today, I got my SF314 external disk drive working with my other ST that still has a regular internal disk drive. Now I wanted to attach the SF314 to the ST that has the Gotek installed inside. But to my disappointment, that didn't work.

When double-clicking the Drive B icon, the motor on the SF314 spins up (and the led lights up) but Gotek is also doing a single track seek (I have a piezo speaker installed which gives me audible feedback) and after a second or two, I get "Drive B: is not responding.".

I remember that before, when I didn't have the SF314 connected, opening drive B would should drive A's contents. This means that the Gotek is somehow hogging the second drive. Does anybody know how to disable that 'feature'?

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Internal Gotek/FlashFloppy and external disk drive

Post by Petari » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 pm

SF314 is set as drive A, because it was first drive for older ST machines without internal drive. Need to change line what leads to drive select (as A) to drive B line at Atari floppy cable. That can do in drive or in Atari .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Great, thanks. Sounds like I'll be adding a switch to the SF314 case tomorrow then as I like to keep my ST as pristine as possible.

DoG

Post by DoG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 pm

The floppy connector on the Atari should be routing the drive A in SF314 as a drive B through the YM2149 chip (ie pin 5 in the floppy cable if I remember correctly to pin 19 on the YM2149).

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 pm

DoG wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 pm
The floppy connector on the Atari should be routing the drive A in SF314 as a drive B through the YM2149 chip (ie pin 5 in the floppy cable if I remember correctly).
So what you are saying is that I have to modify the ST and modifying the SF314 won't work?

DoG

Post by DoG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 pm

It should already work. If the drive in SF314 is set to D0 (drive A) it should be seen as drive B in your Atari STF. It's already rerouted internally in the Atari. Have you tried with two real floppy drives instead of the Gotek one?

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 pm

DoG wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 pm
It should already work. If the drive in SF314 is set to D0 (drive A) it should be seen as drive B in your Atari STF. It's already rerouted internally in the Atari. Have you tried with two real floppy drives instead of the Gotek one?
Yes, when there's a real floppy drive in the ST, the SF314 works just fine as drive B. I really think that the Gotek is doing drive B related stuff from the same cable. As I said, both the Gotek and the SF314 become active when I open drive B from the OS.

DoG

Post by DoG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Yup. Isn't the gotek made as a pc floppy connector and the atari drives is Shugart connected? I solved it temporarily by removing MO (motor) jumper on the gotek. Didn't work that great though. It kind of work. I had to switch the power on/off on the SF314 to get it to work. But I had some other troubles also with the USB stick so I don't know if it was related.

Maybe desolder pin 12 on the gotek might do the trick?

http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:32 am

Here is pretty much confusion caused by different pin layouts. Well visible on given link:
http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml
I recommend that if have ohmmeter follow signals from Atari PSG chip - Drive Sel A and Drive Sel B and connect Drive Sel A to Drive Sel B of Gotek - assuming it is really set as Drive B (as is usual by PC drives) . Motor on should go on pin 16 of Gotek then. Disconnect pins 10 and 14 for case . I used to do it on cable self.
Drive Sel B should go on external floppy port A, in case of STF(m), I guess. Of course, first try Gotek without connected external drive.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But I must admit they confused me a little. I think a lot of this stuff is about incorrect strapping etc. But my STFM is unmodified (except for the installed Gotek), the SF314 is original as well.

Given the fact that using a physical floppy drive internally AND externally works perfect, indicates that this must be a Gotek specific issue.

I was just re-reading Gotek for Atari ST instructions and I noticed that the motor jumper wasn't there. So I removed it from my Gotek and now the problem seems to have disappeared. I can run programs from both drives, the Gotek and the SF314.

I hope that this is the fix and no issues arise but I will have to do more experiments to know for sure.