Datel RF302R

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Datel RF302R

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, reading this http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/int ... _Connector there are pads on the boards that allow for them to be set, but I've never noticed them.

I will go and have a look at one of my bare boards at some point, but yes, the drive is set to DS0 now.

Also I think worth tracing the pins on my cable, see where each one goes.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 pm Small update. I now have the enclosure properly working with a replacement floppy drive.

The drive is set to DS0 by jumper. I also tested with a Gotek also set to DS0 in place of the floppy and it also worked ok, and I was able to copy files etc between the Gotek at drive B: and the internal floppy at drive A:

So the original floppy seems to have been the problem, so stage one fix is done, I know it actually works. PSU is 12v/1A with centre positive if anybody else needs to know.

Next step is to read the detail of what was kindly sent over by ijor, as I'd like to make up another drive from the spares I have to use with my 520ST, since whilst it boots fine with an empty drive, it gives a 2 bomb crash when trying to access the floppy drive.

Will see where I get to and update, but I have a sat nav to fit to my car first! Stupid priorities!
That sounds like my findings...I just swapped the real (non-working) floppy in the external drive case for the Gotek (internal drive from another ST) with no changes to the Gotek & it worked.

Now all I need to do is win the lottery to get enough Goteks for all the other STs with faulty drives :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm
That sounds like my findings...I just swapped the real (non-working) floppy in the external drive case for the Gotek (internal drive from another ST) with no changes to the Gotek & it worked.

Now all I need to do is win the lottery to get enough Goteks for all the other STs with faulty drives :lol:
Cool. I'm working on getting all mine Gotek'd up too, have printed up a bunch of these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2664753 but I need to remove them from the STs they are currently installed in and swap the mounts over.

My main aim is to get a drive working for my 520ST, which is external drive only. I have got a spare floppy plug, so will build one if needs be, though I would've like to use the enclosure I have. May need to 3d print an enclosure too, which would be a sun exercise in designing :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”