Gotek / HxC Manager problem

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
Maximilian

Re: Gotek / HxC Manager problem

Post by Maximilian »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 am Manhandling the board is enough to shift the MMU/GLUE/BLITTER in their respective sockets, as there is enough flex in the board and sockets for contacts to shift and either fail or work again. We often think of electronic faults immediately, but also need to consider the mechanical properties that can cause faults too. Assembly/dissassembly can be enough to break a machine.
The more modern version of this can be found in the local PC shop.
There they pull out the PCI cards and put them back when the machine doesn't boot, put them back and call it done.
In most cases the BGA chipset has some loose contacts and you can wait for it to have the same problem again…

Good call on the PLCC extractor, trying to pull a PLCC ic from an old socket without the correct tools will end in a lot of de and resoldering :o
bfollowell

Re: Gotek / HxC Manager problem

Post by bfollowell »

Exactly!

And I may leave it alone since it's started working again. I'll need to manhandle this one to get it back into the shield and the case completely reassembled. My concern is that it will stop working again during that whole process. I guess I can wait and see how it goes though, then pull it a re-insert it only if I need to. This is one I'm prepping to sell, and I want to make sure it's good. I don't want it to get to the new owner, then start acting up.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”