Gotek Q&A

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
jacolover

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by jacolover »

Well, this has turned into a regular shit storm for me, I simply cannot get the STM flash loader onto my only windows machine, a Surface 3 running windows 10. Every time I try to get it via the registration I either cannot click on the link in the email (Outlook), in the browser I get a 404. I have tried both USB-USB and serial and without the STM program its a no go. Any suggestions before I toss this into the box and get pissed? Thanks
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

jacolover wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:31 pm Well, this has turned into a regular shit storm for me, I simply cannot get the STM flash loader onto my only windows machine, a Surface 3 running windows 10. Every time I try to get it via the registration I either cannot click on the link in the email (Outlook), in the browser I get a 404. I have tried both USB-USB and serial and without the STM program its a no go. Any suggestions before I toss this into the box and get pissed? Thanks
Go back to the very beginning of this thread, the software you need should be downloadable there and does work under Windows 10 as that's what I use. Just look for the attached files Flash.zip and DFuseDemo.zip.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Thanks Rubber, I just tried that and I can get to the properties but the "update driver" is greyed out, and therefore I cannot update this or follow along with the rest of this procedure. Thanks
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

jacolover wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:49 pm Thanks Rubber, I just tried that and I can get to the properties but the "update driver" is greyed out, and therefore I cannot update this or follow along with the rest of this procedure. Thanks
Afraid that is more likely to be a Windows issue. You may not have admin permissions to upgrade the driver. I had no problems, but have full admin access to my laptop.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Thanks for the info, kinda makes sense. Been nothing but problems with this 1040 ST since I bought it, probably will have to return it to the ebay seller, who I suspect of not quite being truthful about its operation.
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Hi rubber, I think the problem is that I cannot get the STM software to download onto my computer, probably because of firefox, that piece of crap software! Until I can get a copy of STM DFU, this is a no go, but I appreciate your help!
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

OK rubber, I have had some success with flashing the Gotek, and now it is recognized by the floppy drive controller, :girldance: , although the screen came up and I got a message about updating the firmware or some such stuff. If I may, I have another question. The files I downloaded to use as a test unzipped into .STX files, is that right? I see on your screen about making up a USB stick that the executables should be .st files, is that right? Thanks!
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

As noted, I THINK I have this working, but not completely sure as the button interface is a bit wonky as I can't seem to move the folder selection around correctly. To actually get this to even think about working though, I need some .st files, all of the files I have downloaded unzip as .stx, what? Not sure what is going on here, any ideas? Thanks
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

One of the key problems with this 1040 STFM is whether the floppy drive controller is working or not. None of the floppy drives that came with it work, and after getting the Gotek to flash it seems to work in a fashion. Right now, I do get a screen when there is a USB stick in the drive and it has a directory of what is in there, would this indicate the controller is working? But one thing is I can't seem to select a file location/track (if that is what you call it), seems to be 000, then d-f, then sometimes I will get a track number selection only to have it drop back to 000, very strange behavior and I am not sure if it is the Gotek or the 1040, any ideas? thanks
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

jacolover wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:11 am OK rubber, I have had some success with flashing the Gotek, and now it is recognized by the floppy drive controller, :girldance: , although the screen came up and I got a message about updating the firmware or some such stuff. If I may, I have another question. The files I downloaded to use as a test unzipped into .STX files, is that right? I see on your screen about making up a USB stick that the executables should be .st files, is that right? Thanks!
You have to have ST files, STX files won't work as they are a preservation format and not intended for use with Gotek, though it is possible to use them with ST emulators like Hatari and STEEM with the correct configuration.

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”