teac floppy drive use in ST

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
mcdoug

teac floppy drive use in ST

Post by mcdoug »

Hi everyone,

I have a Teac fd-235hf 8549 -u5 floppy drive that I pulled from an AKAI sampler. It was working in there, which got me wondering if it is possible to modify it for use in a ST rather than it sitting in a box in box on a shelf. I was hoping someone might by chance have experience doing this previously.

thanks in advance,

Craig
stephen_usher

Re: teac floppy drive use in ST

Post by stephen_usher »

If it's set as DS0 then it should JustWork(tm).
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mcdoug

Post by mcdoug »

Ah excellent thank you! I am struggling to find the jumper setting for this exact version, but found this link: http://oldcomputer.info/media/disk35/3fd0020a.pdf

In my understanding I could remove all jumpers except the one I have marked in green? Or do I also have to set to auto density?

teac ds0.png
teac ds0.png (152.11 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

mcdoug wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:43 pm In my understanding I could remove all jumpers except the one I have marked in green?
I would assume that would be what is required..

I have used one of these drives but it was like 20+ years ago, I purchased it because it boasted really good error correction or something, in the end I gave up with it is the worst drive I had ever used.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mcdoug

Post by mcdoug »

Haha thanks for that, maybe I will just put it in that box after all! :lol: I will give it a shot and let you know if I get it working. Thanks for the advice:)
mcdoug

Post by mcdoug »

My brother just gave me an old drive he had (he was goign to chuck it out even though it works!) It is a sony mpf920 which is now sitting in my spares box, does anyone have experience with this drive in their st? Is any modification required or is it just a case of setting to D0? thanks, Craig
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@mcdoug ive had some success with that Sony drive but uou will need to change the drive I'd, by using soldered jumpers if I remember correctly.

Also works as a 1.44mb drive with the correct bits in your ST.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
DoG

Post by DoG »

mcdoug

Post by mcdoug »

Amazing thank you, that is just what I needed!

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”