HD V7 and SONY problems

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
AdamSTE

HD V7 and SONY problems

Post by AdamSTE »

Hi there!

I bought HD V7 and SONY drive (shop items: 0037 and 0041). I have 1040STE, AJAX (C302434) chip and TOS 2,06PL.

What I did:
  • at drive board: additional cable from HD sensor and changed D1->D0 drive selector according to online instruction,
  • assembly HD board and placed AJAX chip on it. I didn't remove AJAX socket from mainboard, I prefer to cut a part of floppy drive envelope. It fits.
  • connections - P1 connected to W301 pin 1, P2 connected to W301 pin 2, D0 connected to floppy drive HD sensor.
I hope I didn't mix anything?

So, it's possible to read HD disks (PC format) but it also generates errors like no disk or datas are corrupted. It is not possible to read desktop INF file during boot. It's not possible to format HD disk - all floppies are formatted in DD.

What am I doing wrong or should it work like this?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HD V7 and SONY problems

Post by exxos »

Should be working, there's not much to fitting it. Maybe post a image of it all...

Also check with a meter on voltage, insert a DD disk and take it out and see if the voltage on that wire changes. 0v would be DD, 5V will be HD IIRC.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Might I make a suggestion?

Does the Sony drive work as a DD drive without the upgrade fitted? If so that's a good place to start, but before fitting anything like this you should verify the drive first.

There is a step you need to do in order for TOS to be able to format in HD, and that is to solder a jumper on one of the row of pads, E6, and you haven't mentioned that.

Until you do this, the menu item will be disabled.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
AdamSTE

Post by AdamSTE »

@exxos:

I checked voltages:
- no disc: 5V,
- DD: 0V,
- HD: 5V.

And photo of assembled board:

P_20210613_152409_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20210613_152409_vHDR_Auto.jpg (314.79 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

@rubber_jonnie:

"Does the Sony drive work as a DD drive without the upgrade fitted?" - I do not know, I bought it at exxos's shop.

"There is a step you need to do in order for TOS to be able to format in HD, and that is to solder a jumper on one of the row of pads, E6, and you haven't mentioned that." - I didn't mention, because I haven't done it. This is next step, I will write results.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I assume you put the drive select jumper over on the drives PCB ? Also there is a small mod to change those 2 1K resistors to 470R.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
AdamSTE

Post by AdamSTE »

@exxos

Yes, I put drive select jumper on the drive's PCB to D0.
Which 1K resistors should I change to 470R? At the moment all 4 resistors are 1K.

@rubber_jonnie

I solder over E6 jumper - now it's possible to format in HD. Thanks!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@AdamSTE

Can you remove the upgrade board? Is it in a socket?

If so I'd suggest you drop the Ajax in as though it was a normal and just try running the FDD as a 720KB DD drive.

That way it eliminates the STE mainboard and FDD itself.

Once you know it works 'as normal', then you can put the upgrade back in and start to troubleshoot.

If you don't know if the standard floppy operations work fine, then fitting the HD upgrade might layer one problem on top of another, which is why you need to change one thing at a time and verify function before moving onto the next step.

BTW, the E6 jumper just needs to be bridged, and only enables the HDD format option in the menu, it makes no other HW changes, so you can do that regardless of the HD upgrade being fitted.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

AdamSTE wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm
@rubber_jonnie

I solder over E6 jumper - now it's possible to format in HD. Thanks!
No problem.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

AdamSTE wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm Which 1K resistors should I change to 470R? At the moment all 4 resistors...
Its the 2x 1K resistors next to the ajax.
AdamSTE

Post by AdamSTE »

@exxos

I changed resitors. All seems to work proper at the moment.
Either DD and HD floppies are able to boot or read desktop INF file. It also formats HD proper, it's possible to read it at PC.
Thank you very much, I think that's all in this topic ;)

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”