Gotek Q&A

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gotek Q&A

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Please post all your Gotek questions here, the how to at https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=12&t=593 is now locked to keep it tidy and only relating to the basics.

All the previous Q&A from that section have now been migrated.

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:06 pm Cool Howto, thanks :-)

now to get the atari fixed any working.

Hope the Atari is now working :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by JezC »

I've just followed the guide on how to upgrade a Gotek using the USB A to A method - really clear & easy to follow!
Much simpler than the serial upgrade method I used to put the HxC firmware into another Gotek a year or two ago.

Many thanks for the excellent tutorial. Looking forward to putting it in my Falcon & trying out some of the games & music s/w...

Jez
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

You're most welcome.

Seemed there was a lot of info spread over the web, hence why I decided to do my own how to with all you need in one place :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Cool!

I'll have to order up some of the other extras for the Gotek to really let the bird fly.

Thanks once again.

Jez
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Glad to help :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks RJ, just updated two Goteks today :-)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm Thanks RJ, just updated two Goteks today :-)
Great, glad I could help :)
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I'm planning to swap out my 1040STF's ailing floppy drive for a Gotek floppy emulator. I'm looking for some information. I've read some conflicting information and want to make sure I have a pretty good understanding before I even order one.

First of all, my STF still has TOS 1.0. I've read that the ST needs to have at least TOS 1.04 in order to use a Gotek. Can anyone confirm or refute that? I plan to upgrade to 1.04 soon anyway, but I may not before I put in the Gotek unless I have to.

Next, I'm seeing that there are 1.44MB versions and 720KB versions of the Gotek. I've read that we have to make certain that we buy the 720KB version only, and I've read that it doesn't matter because when we flash the firmware for Atari ST support, that will take care of it. I just want to confirm which unit I need to purchase or if it even matters.

Lastly, I know the bulk of ST disk images seem to be 720KB images, but there are 360KB and 800KB images as well. Will the Gotek read any and all of these, or only the 720KB images?

Thanks to anyone that can help bring me up to speed before I start my project and thanks for the wonderful tutorials in this thread.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Morning, and thanks for your questions!

These are questions, which to be honest never came up when I was first writing this how to, but they are perfectly valid and reasonable to ask.

I'll answer what I can for you based on my experiences with STFMs and STEs, and if I'm wrong, then hopefully one of the good folks on here can jump on and correct me.

With regards to Gotek not working with TOS 1.0, it's difficult to comment as I have never tested on a version of TOS that old, but I would expect that this shouldn't be a problem as the Gotek presents itself as a floppy drive. There are issues with hard drives under TOS v1.0 if I recall, but this is a different matter entirely and shouldn't affect Gotek use.

In all honesty I would suggest for the best compatibility and use of your STF, that you should upgrade to TOS 1.04 anyway, you can find it here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0033, just scroll through to find the one for you.

As for 1.44MB or 720KB, I never considered this to be a problem and certainly didn't specify a 720kb device only when I was buying.

The models I've used are marked SFRC922C and SRFC922D, which as far as I'm aware are both 1.44MB capable devices. Ultimately, it's the firmware that determines what the drive can/can't read, and I've used Goteks with FlashFloppy firmware on both STs and an Amiga 1200 without any issues.(Well other than the cheap ass USB sticks I used. Use decent ones and you'll be fine).

I've only ever used normal ST images, so I can't comment on 360KB or 800KB, as I just haven't tried. I'd expect that 360KB would be fine and that 800KB should also work based on the fact it does for the A1200. Again, I'm happy to be corrected if somebody has better knowledge than me.

Be aware that FlashFloppy and HxC firmware doesn't support .STX images (See here: http://pasti.fxatari.com/), which are intended as images for the preservation of software, not as images for use with floppy emulators. HxC did get as far as an alpha support version for STX images if I recall, but then it was dropped. I'm pretty sure you can't use .MSA images either, but it is relatively easy to convert these to .ST format, there are utilities to be found here: http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html

If you have a Windows 2000 or above PC with a proper floppy disk drive (Not USB), then you can also use FloImg (See here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php) to read/write and image disks.

Hopefully some of that is of use to you!
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

Now, as far as firmware, I'd like to hear from both camps as far as the best firmware to use, and reasons; pros/cons, etc.

I know FlashFloppy and HxC2001 both are compatible with the OLED displays, though I'm not certain I'll use one, so I'm not sure that's a concern for me either way. I know FlashFloppy is free and HxC2001 isn't, but it only costs about $12 USD, so not a major concern one way or the other.

I see FlashFloppy only works with ST files, but it seems like I read something about beta support for MSA and STX files with HxC2001. I'm not sure if the MSA/STX format is continuing on HcX2001 of if it may be coming to FlashFloppy as well.

Any information you guys can give me that may help me make an informed decision on which firmware to use.

Also, if I try one, then want to try the other, is it possible? Is it just as simple as reflashing with the other firmware?

Thanks again for all of your help.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”