Gotek with Flash Floppy

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
Shugs81

Gotek with Flash Floppy

Post by Shugs81 »

Woop woop!! I got my gotek (that I've had longer than my St!!) working with Flash floppy...

How do I copy files to an St image??

There's a few things that I've got on floppy disks that I want to use via this gotek... How do I copy stuff over?? And how do I make blank disks???
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gotek with Flash Floppy

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Hey there, have a look at the how to I did a while back.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=12&t=593

Towards the end you can find a run down on how to get images into the Gotek for use on ST.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Shugs81 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm Woop woop!! I got my gotek (that I've had longer than my St!!) working with Flash floppy...

How do I copy files to an St image??

There's a few things that I've got on floppy disks that I want to use via this gotek... How do I copy stuff over?? And how do I make blank disks???
I make blank disks with an emulator like Steem or Hatari, if you want to copy real disks to image files, then I use FloImg which is free to download, but it does require a PC or laptop with a proper floppy disk drive and controller, it doesn't play nicely USB floppy drives.

There are other tools, but I like FloImg the best, just be sure that you follow the instructions on the web page.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Shugs81

Post by Shugs81 »

I've cracked it!! Thanks!!

Took me an age to realise I had to use a blank disk image before I could put anything on there but once I did its all golden!!

Woop!!

Now how can I hook my old floppy drove up as well as the gotek??? 😁😁
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

It is possible to hook both up at the same time internally and use a switch to change between them, as it was a project I was going to do, and even bought the parts for. Small problem, I can't find the link to the page anymore!!

However since I planned to do it, I've used Goteks more and more, I found myself asking the question "What are you going to acheive by having both internal and switchable?" and the answer always came back as "Not a great deal".

I mean yes, you can switch between Gotek and real disks, but when practically every piece of software for Atari STs can be downloaded on ready made ST images that you can just plop onto a USB stick, the relevance of the real floppy drive diminishes.

Of course if you're a purist I understand the lure of using a real drive. I gives the full experience with all the right noises etc, but from a practicality standpoint, it just isn't. Plus if you're a purist, you probably wouldn't want to hack the case around to add a usb slot and a switch. Swings and roundabouts really, but I won't be going back to real floppies other than on one big button floppy STF I have, which is staying as nature intended.

On the other hand, I do see the lure of having an internal floppy and external Gotek (Or vice versa), I see that as a pretty powerful combination, and when I get time I'm going to try hooking up a Gotek externally as I have the bits for the project (On hold like many projects of mine, most stuff happens in winter for me).

Sombody recently posted I think with an external floppy adapter PCB, though I don't no if it's been tested yet. Damned if I can find the link either :(
Shugs81

Post by Shugs81 »

I also wanna wedge an ultra Satan in there too! 😁

I'm planning to rehouse my ste into a 19" standing "rack mount" case... Basically it won't fit in a proper rack case but there's one that's freestanding and stackable which it will fit... My intention is to swap all my of computers into one and maybe do some packed ones with a mastersystem, megadrive, megacd etc in one case... But that's waaay down the line... The ste is going first as the current case is trashed... I can't even screw it all back together as all the screws threaded as I took them out or snapped the bits off...

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”