How do private messages work on the forum

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
bartekmalysz

How do private messages work on the forum

Post by bartekmalysz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm

When I send a PM to another user, the message sits in my outbox, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours. Why this is the case? Are PM read and moderated or censored/reviewed in any way and this is the reason for inconsistency in processing?

DoG

Re: How do private messages work on the forum

Post by DoG » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm

The PM is in your outbox, until the person you sent it to, logs in and goes in to his inbox and read your message. Then is logged as 'sent'.

It is not read or moderated.

bartekmalysz

Post by bartekmalysz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Thank you, not that I mind if it's to protect users.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Post by exxos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Yep as @DoG says... "outbox" can have messages in for weeks if the user doesn't login and read them.

Nobody can read or moderate your PM's, not even moderators, admins or founders.. I assume they are encrypted with your login password which nobody knows but yourself.
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:11 pm

I have a couple of messages in my outbox sent ages ago, but I don't think the user is about any more, so they just sit there.

It's normal behaviour as DoG and exxos have said.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Also note that i have set my PM preferences such that only moderators can PM me. I don't know what happens if you PM me and you are not a mod/admin.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:05 pm

terriblefire wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 pm
Also note that i have set my PM preferences such that only moderators can PM me. I don't know what happens if you PM me and you are not a mod/admin.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (42.21 KiB) Viewed 616 times
The option to PM you isn't present it seems.

Attempting to reply to a PM you sent me I receive "Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt." and you're not on the TO list.

dalek

Post by dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 pm

exxos wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm
Nobody can read or moderate your PM's, not even moderators, admins or founders.. I assume they are encrypted with your login password which nobody knows but yourself.
That can't be the case, otherwise you would lose access to your PMs when you changed your password.

You should _always_ assume the site you are using can read your personal information. For example, even if the above were true the site admin could simply capture your password during login by changing the login form.

The only way to be sure would be to use a key/password (e.g. gpg) that is _not_ sent to the site to encrypt/decrypt messages.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Post by exxos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 pm

dalek wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 pm
That can't be the case, otherwise you would lose access to your PMs when you changed your password.

You should _always_ assume the site you are using can read your personal information. For example, even if the above were true the site admin could simply capture your password during login by changing the login form.

The only way to be sure would be to use a key/password (e.g. gpg) that is _not_ sent to the site to encrypt/decrypt messages.
You would have to look into phpbb PM system, mine was only a guess..I cant imagine phpbb creators store messages in plain text in the database, so they must be encrypted somehow otherwise there be a right war with them, but like I said, I cannot accesses anyones PM's here, would defeat the object of them being private other wise. not saying its totally impossible to get at them, there maybe way of hacking stuff, but I really don't care or have any interest in reading peoples PM's. I'm not that bothered about reading my own :lol:
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

dalek

Post by dalek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 pm

pretty sure they are stored as plain text in your case...

anyway, it's not that we don't trust you :D , but more that people need to know that any info they give up to any third party is essentially readable by admins

Return to “CHAT FORUM”