thegamearchives.com gone ?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

thegamearchives.com gone ?

Post by exxos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 am

thegamearchives.com seems to be gone, does anyone know why or who ran it ? Can we rescue the site ? (gulps).

I found the files on webarchive, but download pages and files would take a long time... It looks like the files are on climatics at least, but the download "get list" doesn't seem to do anything :roll:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rubber_jonnie

Re: thegamearchives.com gone ?

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am

So it seems the 'get list' option at Climatics just gets you a list of the files in text format, so in theory it might be possible to write a script to use the list to get all the files.

Might just gave a look at that :)
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am
So it seems the 'get list' option at Climatics just gets you a list of the files in text format, so in theory it might be possible to write a script to use the list to get all the files.
It doesn't do anything at all when I try it, just goes to a blank page :roll:

There would be still the problem of the html parts of the game site, only webarchive for that, dont know if the site was scripted or not...

Also annoying overall as another site gone and no way to get it back properly :roll:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 am

I just did a quick test and I could write a Powershell script to easily download the files, but as you say, the site is the problem, unless of course you only care about the archive and the files.
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 am
I just did a quick test and I could write a Powershell script to easily download the files, but as you say, the site is the problem, unless of course you only care about the archive and the files.
Other files are all at lease already, it is more preservation of old classic sites like that one which are a great resource for people..

I mean if site owners were thinking of closing down sites, I wish they would just advertise the fact on their site so others could actually talk to them and site running.. Not just simply vanish without a trace.

I guess there could be a small chance the guy simply forgot to pay the hosting fees :shrug:

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:16 am

So here is a script (Powershell) that can be used to download a list of files specified in a file called: C:\MyStuff\DownloadList.txt.

Obviously the location of this file is up to you.

In the file DownloadList.txt you would list, each url in the following format, line by line as follows:

http://www.website.com/file.zip

Obviously each line will be unique for the file you want to download.

Then all you need to do provide values for $inputfile and $outputdir, the rest is all dealt with by the script.

I'm providing this as a useful tool if you have a bunch of files you want to download from various places.

There's no error handling, if a file download breaks it just moves onto the next.

#Multi File Downloader V1.0
param (
[string]$url,
[string]$file,
[string]$inputfile = "C:\MyStuff\DownloadList.txt", #This is where your list of files to be downloaded is read from
[string]$outputdir = "C:\MyStuff\Downloads\", #This is where your files are to be downloaded to
[string]$outputloc
)

write-host "File used as a download list is:" $inputfile
foreach ($url in Get-Content $inputfile)
{
#Strip filename from path
$file = Split-Path -leaf "$url"
#Build save location\name from output directory and filename
$outputloc = $outputdir + $file
#Reflect values to console prior to starting
Write-Host "Url used: " $url
Write-Host "File retrieved: " $file
Write-Host "Location of downloaded file: " $outputloc
wget -uri "$url" -OutFile "$file"
#Uncomment the following line if you want to add a wait time between downloads.Default is 10 seconds, but you can use whatever value suits you best.
#sleep 10
}
Plus the rest..

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

exxos wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am

Other files are all at lease already, it is more preservation of old classic sites like that one which are a great resource for people..

I mean if site owners were thinking of closing down sites, I wish they would just advertise the fact on their site so others could actually talk to them and site running.. Not just simply vanish without a trace.

I guess there could be a small chance the guy simply forgot to pay the hosting fees :shrug:
Yeah, couldn't agree more, if other folks are willing to take over the preservation of these archives, then it would be great to know if it was coming so that action could be taken.
Plus the rest..