Do you use your retro system(s) for something productive?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you use your retro system(s) for something productive?

Post by IngoQ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Out of curiosity:

Do you (still) use you retro system for something productive? KyleB mentioned in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1050&p=8106), that he is using his ST to concentrate. This intrigues me, and I am wondering, how these old machines (not necessarily only STs) might be of use still today, when you have modern machines at hand?

I recently used the ST for some writing and sometimes I use Texcel for some calculation. But more or less for fun, not seriously. But I am still discovering this machine, since I never owned one when I was younger.

What about you?
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you use your retro system(s) for something productive?

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:44 pm

For me, answer is obvious, hardware upgrades and fixes.

I think most just play games. Though I have noticed a rise in people using their Atari's for music again lately.. Seems to be a common thing with falcons being used..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

dhedberg

Post by dhedberg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 pm

I use my Falcon030 for programming demos (Devpac) and to create graphics (APEX Media).
Besides that I watch demos, and also play games occasionally.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Nothing forces some new Windows, Internet user to keep active all channels for 'distraction' . My e-mail client don't alerts when new mail arrives. I check it when I want. Same is with FB, Skype, etc. I can focus really 100% while I'm in Win, and Firefox has some 90 tabs opened. All it can run in background.
Actually, only thing what bothers me sometime is Avast - with some suggestions that I increase my security level - what would be some advanced protection. But that's really about once per week. All it is about how you set your workplace, to say so.

Something productive: indeed. Just made little statistic - with 20 line 68000 ASM - 1000060 adaptation downloads so far. In last 8 years. (Flash) EPROM programming , GAL programming - still on Atari. Surely, there will be day when it will stop to work, but until it, I will not buy some USB stuff for ...
Some tests , etc. But all it is Atari related, in fact.

Surely, some old, slow computer, with limited graphic is not what people should use regularly.
Maybe better question would be can we do some things on Atari, what could be of general purpose ? Usual answer is text editing, music related ...
I would add programming. Learning low level programming, computer working principle. Surely, doing 68000 ASM is not something with perspective. But in case of old computers, it is all much more tied to HW, than today, with protected OS, where you practically are disallowed to access any HW directly.
All it has it's reasons - multitasking, compatibility, transportable SW, security. But knowing very basic principle of work is very good thing.
It just did not change in principle at all since ... let's say Mega STE . Every new computer is based on same - fast CPU + cache, and slower RAM. DMA for disks, audio. There is even LAN on Mega STE :D
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 am

Mine is a writing machine as well as spreadsheets, eventually somewhere to learn C. Bit of games but to be honest PS1 more my thing.

Problem with having a modern computer is it's not actually any better at those simple productive tasks, but filled with lots of built in temptations. Always some fool out there going to want to talk on the IM program of the week. Social media is hypersociality that ruins your attention span. Can also lose hours reading stuff like wikipedia etc when you think "only take a minute and then back to work".

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 am

I've really been wanting to use my TT for most of my e-mail. I setup Troll and it downloads my IMAP e-mails great, but the problem is that it tries to open e-mails that are way to massive or complex for Atari. I might e-mail the Author and see if he can make it autodetect these types of html emails and perhaps either block them or something.

I also run Atari IRC on my machine, I am a fan of elite dangerous so it's handy that I can be inside the IRC channel on my Atari as I play the game on the PC. Allows me to ask questions if needed, and it just feels good to be communicating over ancient technology :) kind of has a sci-fi feel to it lol.

I use my Falcon for mainly multi-media tasks and games. I love to listen to Mod music. There is absolutely nothing that compares to the Falcons music playback capabilities. Hopefully one day if I can get a better ethernet interface than the Netusbee I'll also be able to stream internet radio with Falcamp, but at the moment the Netusbee is always buffering or losing packets.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 am

KyleB wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 am
Mine is a writing machine as well as spreadsheets,
Again out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking: What sort of writing and spreadsheet do you do? Home or work related?

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 am

Steve wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 am
I've really been wanting to use my TT for most of my e-mail. I setup Troll and it downloads my IMAP e-mails great, but the problem is that it tries to open e-mails that are way to massive or complex for Atari. I might e-mail the Author and see if he can make it autodetect these types of html emails and perhaps either block them or something.
Another intriguing idea... Since I want to host my own mail server, it might be handy to pre-sort mails on the server in IMAP folders, based on their content... will have to dive into that idea a little more. I normally don't care about HTML emails, with some rare exceptions, I much prefer plain text and proper quoting ;)
Steve wrote:
and it just feels good to be communicating over ancient technology :) kind of has a sci-fi feel to it lol.
Quote paradox, now that you mention it... what we saw as science fiction back in the day is now retro ;) What I really don't get is, why it got only more flashy and irritating and even less efficient. Try to find a good mail client these days, that can do real proper internet style quoting, some advanced sorting and filtering and is half-way user friendly. Thunderbird is basically all you can get, although I still wanted to have a look at the Bat!... I even tried Mutt, but this is a little to hardcore, even for me ;)
Steve wrote:
I love to listen to Mod music. There is absolutely nothing that compares to the Falcons music playback capabilities.
Which reminds me.... is there a more or less equivalent audio playback solution for the TT?

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 am

IngoQ wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 am
Which reminds me.... is there a more or less equivalent audio playback solution for the TT?
Yes there is, it is called JAM (just another music player)
http://www.creamhq.de/jam.php

Download the CPU version for TT, DSP is for Falcon. It plays almost every type of mod/snd music.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

Mostly I'm using mine to mod, as I love to increase the capabilities of these older machines, such as RAM and CPU upgrades etc.

It's much more enjoyable to do it on the ST, the Amiga is dead boring in that respect, as a lot of stuff just plugs in.

I've also helped in testing some mods out, which is great as it means I can give feedback to the community, not to mention it provides me with information so that I can write 'How To's' as that's something I love to do, and it helps other people.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk