Computer distractions

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
IngoQ

Computer distractions

Post by IngoQ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:49 am

(branch from MSTE TOS206 thread viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1024&p=8080#p8078 )

KyleB wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 pm
Because I use my ST as a place to concentrate
That's actually a brilliant idea...
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

exxos
Site Admin

Re: Computer distractions

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am

IngoQ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:49 am
KyleB wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 pm
Because I use my ST as a place to concentrate
That's actually a brilliant idea...
*confused look*
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:09 pm

exxos wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am
*confused look*
Meaning, if you have to do some writing for example (documentation, concepts, etc.) it would be a good idea to do this on the ST. No Internet to distract you, no bells and whistles, no videos, only you and your text. I like that idea :)

Just google for "distraction free writing* and you'll be surprised of the demand ;)

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:09 pm
No Internet to distract you, no bells and whistles, no videos, only you and your text. I like that idea :)
ahhh, no random cat videos popping up to distract.. gotcha! *closes browser* ...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm

The problem is discipline ;) When the funny cat videos are only a click away, the temptation is there. And then there are eMail-Alerts, Instant Messaging, etc....

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:41 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm
The problem is discipline ;) When the funny cat videos are only a click away, the temptation is there. And then there are eMail-Alerts, Instant Messaging, etc....

I do try really hard... :lol:

I get distracted with emails constantly, I just have to reply to them right away, otherwise if I leave it for a few hours, I just end up with 100+ emails to all reply in one go :roll:

Of course all these distractions daily make it really confusing me to get anything done during the day. This is one of the reasons why I end up making silly mistakes on circuit boards because I can rarely get more than 10 minutes peace to do anything :roll: if I ignore all the emails, then end up spending solid blocks of time applying to them all, and by the time applying, people have already started replying to those emails, so I end up getting a flood back again.

Generally I avoid IM, I do talk to a couple of people on FB IM, though only people I really need to get in touch with quick about something.. It just gets too confusing with emails and forum alone without adding into the mix other forms of chat.. I do have a IM installed, strictly only talking to my girlfriend though.. As I need to talk to her about orders and things mostly..

What I learned years ago, is as soon as I went online, I would end up with like 20 chat boxes appear right away.. Mostly people just wanting the general chat, which I really don't have time for these days. But sometimes I would just pop online for a moment to get directions somewhere I needed to go with work, and then I would just go off-line basically ignoring everyone.. After a while just gets annoying, and people think I did not get their messages, or I am ignoring them, and then people start getting in a mood about it all. It was always things like, "hey Chris can I quickly ask you something before you shoot off-line", fair enough, but no, I have appointment times to keep with my day job and this has to take priority over other people's problems. When I have 20 people doing exactly the same...

But even when I was trying to talk to everyone in the past, it would just literally be clicking first chat box and reply, second chat box and reply, first chat box and reply, and just doing that 20 times over for endless hours. Basically would end up taking me like an hour to get back to the first chat box by which time totally forgotten what the conversation was about the first place. Just not realistic to new doing things like that. Just does nothing but add confusion to everything. I also think all that passed typing I did for years is what knackered my fingers as well :roll:

This is why I try and centralise everything on this forum now, and the secondary thing is emails. As said before, a lot of things anyone can answer, and also a lot of the things I just end up repeating myself over and over again different people in emails, it is much better to have all this correspondence here the forum in public view. I obviously cannot be replying to messages and doing hardware developments at the same time.

Basically I just reply to people when I get chance. I just work down the email list one at a time. Of course some people want instant help, and want real-time support, and it is just not realistic to do so. Because it rarely is just one question and one problem, it just ends up being something else, then something else, then something else, it never ends and basically my entire day has gone and answering questions which anyone basically answer.. Then people waiting to me to fix their machine, end up waiting another day because of it... But it rarely is just days, it actually turns into weeks.. Basically all my progress is posted here as it happens, the times I am not posting here, I am basically replying to emails. Again this is why it takes so long to get anything done with the amount of distractions basically with emails.

Really is rather a complex topic me...

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:44 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:09 pm
exxos wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am
*confused look*
Meaning, if you have to do some writing for example (documentation, concepts, etc.) it would be a good idea to do this on the ST. No Internet to distract you, no bells and whistles, no videos, only you and your text. I like that idea :)

Just google for "distraction free writing* and you'll be surprised of the demand ;)
That's why STacy + Protext = awesome!

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 am

The one problem with ST for a writing machine is it takes too long to boot up with the memory check and all that, you forget what you wanted to say. wouldn't mind measuring exactly how long spinup time is on my drive and patching the rom to match

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:14 am

Press space bar to skip it and get a SD drive ?

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:57 am

What I usually do at work is, I disable every alert my system is able to produce, with the exception of appointment reminders. Same goes with my smartphone. So when I have something I need to focus on, I can do that for a certain amount of time at least more or less undisturbed. But of course this only works, because I am not alone, I have my team around me that handle most of the daily stuff, so this is not really comparable to exxos' situation.