Seen on eBay: UK TT Keyboard: Offers.

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
stephen_usher

Seen on eBay: UK TT Keyboard: Offers.

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

There's a mucky looking UK TT keyboard on eBay at the moment. The seller has turned down my offer for £30 even though it's 'parts only' and is missing at least one rubber foot:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-TT030- ... 2763.l2649
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Petari

Re: Seen on eBay: UK TT Keyboard: Offers.

Post by Petari » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am

TT keyboard = Mega STE keyboard. Silly prices are what we will see more and more.
There is way to use ST, STE keyboard on TT, Mega STE - just need proper cable, conn. and add couple cheap components (for auto reset) .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

Disgusting price for a disgusting keyboard, seller should be ashamed of himself. I would at least restore and clean it before even dreaming of asking for such a price.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 pm

The whole market is going demented and it's easy to see why if you browse sites like amibay...

Average collector it seems, male, was young in the 1980s and early 1990s, always wanted such and such things, now has a wife, children, beer belly, house, spare bedroom, and a good job. Midlife crisis hits, wife says no sports car, so buys everything he remembers wanting when he was 12 instead. Has enough spare cash to pay a stupid price, and convinces himself it's worth it because all the other tubby and bald 50somethings would pay so much too... Fills spare room up with 10 or 20 systems, doesn't use them at all.

Worst in UK is Amiga people, they buy one, clean it, fit new ££££££ accelerator, scandoubler, graphics card, tower case, custom wiring loom, configure software, then impress themselves by playing an MP3 or some boring game like superfrog. They get bored and build another one only this time an A4000 instead of an A1200, rinse and repeat until room is full. £10,000 of curios that gets used for 15 minutes a month.

Mac collector is the american equivalent, you see them post pictures of their "collection" ... one shelf towers, another shelf keyboards, third shelf monitors, draw full of mice, draw full of cables. Nothing set up. Ask what they use it for, get a blank look.

Absolutely brilliant for commodity speculation. Ten years ago a 520ST was £15. Look what they go for now. But as someone who actually uses Atari as a computer and not an investment, a terrible time. I hate price bubbles.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 pm

KyleB wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 pm
now has a wife, children, beer belly, house, spare bedroom, and a good job.
I have none of those :)

KyleB wrote:
Ten years ago a 520ST was £15. Look what they go for now. But as someone who actually uses Atari as a computer and not an investment, a terrible time. I hate price bubbles.

Yeah its gone silly for sure... I'm still wondering why people paying £1,000 for a Falcon.. Though like I said a while ago with my STF remake, it will be expensive yes, but if you actually brought a STF, then added all the upgrades to it, it would end up costing a lot anyway.. I dare say a "new" ST might ultimately be cheaper as it will be a lot easier to upgrade, and a lot of stuff could be built on.. I mean fit a booster, fit a floppy kit for example, 2 kits, 2 costs.. a new motherboard could wire up the same PLD to do both jobs, in effect 1 "kit". In fact with larger PLD's on today's market, like Suska, everything can be on 1 PLD.. exciting times to explore...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Happily thin as a post, childless and not so happily in one of those fake "self employed" jobs where they boss you about, make you wear their uniform and use their equipment, but "don't" work for them and so don't have any rights, not even minimum wage... At least I live in a paid off house with three other people so living costs are small.

I did just pay over £1000 for a Falcon, on a whim. It's undoubtedly one of the stupidest things I've ever done. But its the only way I can have a proper nosey at one and see what its really like. If I don't like it, it's not exactly going to depreciate.

I'm a little bit interested in seeing what mods there are. It's had some audio mod done but I want to see about overclocking it. 16Mhz is weedy for an 030

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 am

KyleB wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43 pm
16Mhz is weedy for an 030
I my opinion the best value booster for the Falcon is the Phantom, which overclocks the CPU, BUS, DSP and optionally the FPU. This way you get a screaming fast 030 with MAX compatibility. I have this _and_ a ct60e, but if I had to choose between them, I'd be more than happy with the Phantom alone. Also a ct60e without any bus accel sucks ass, like having a V8 engine with a mini petrol tank.

Tuxie makes them on this forum, try messaging him.. here is a thread with his benchmark:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=551

Only note is: It requires the Phantom clock patch to work which I don't think Tuxie provides, it does _not_ work with the exxos clock patch. I used the schematic from this website to build it myself, it wasn't too difficult: https://mikrosk.github.io/clockpatch/

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am

Prices are silly.

I've noticed the seller of this keyboard has been reducing the price... down to a mere £59.99 now! ;-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

DrF

Post by DrF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 pm

KyleB wrote:
Fills spare room up with 10 or 20 systems, doesn't use them at all.
I keep meaning to get rid of all mine im getting sick of moving them about :(
KyleB wrote:
Worst in UK is Amiga people, they buy one, clean it, fit new ££££££ accelerator, scandoubler, graphics card, tower case, custom wiring loom, configure software, then impress themselves by playing an MP3 or some boring game like superfrog. They get bored and build another one only this time an A4000 instead of an A1200, rinse and repeat until room is full. £10,000 of curios that gets used for 15 minutes a month.
I like SuperFrog :lol:

I have some accelerators and other gadgets for my Amigas but I would never blow 1000's on them, a £50 PC can do a lot more, again I really should get rid of them :(
I was bought a brand new Amiga Technologies A1200 a few years ago all boxed up, never even used it :( she had the right idea though.
Amiga people might be worse because there's more choice and stuff still floating about with new stuff appearing all the time.
KyleB wrote:
Average collector it seems, male, was young in the 1980s and early 1990s, always wanted such and such things, now has a wife, children, beer belly, house, spare bedroom, and a good job. Midlife crisis hits
Not just me who thinks that then, just for fun take a look on HotUkDeals when a deal for a old 16 bit era game for STEAM or there Android phones appear something silly like a remake of Zool, Chaos Engine, Sensible Soccer etc. now read the comments you will notice there all 30+, going on about how when they was kids at their friends house with there ST/Amiga etc etc, and there all buying up that £1.50 game they will prob only play for 10 mins. Nostalgia sells, look at them Nintendo Classic consoles.
KyleB wrote:
Absolutely brilliant for commodity speculation. Ten years ago a 520ST was £15. Look what they go for now. But as someone who actually uses Atari as a computer and not an investment, a terrible time. I hate price bubbles.
Why I stopped buying old computers and retro stuff altogether the prices were going up up up up up :(
I could not afford a ST/Amiga now :lol:

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:55 am

A couple years back Individual Comp who make all the new amiga turbo cards clocked on to the midlife crisis crew and had the most amazing idea for a graft ever: sell an entire A1200 accelerator at a good price, 28Mhz, 64mb ram... but you're not allowed to use more than 9MB and 17Mhz unless you buy a special licence key.

Thats right, you had to pay extra to use the hardware you already bought! Like if you buy a house and finish pay the mortgage, and then the bank manager bricks up your kitchen and toilet until he gets extra money.

Amiga people, of course, then went and open their wallets...