Are business cards dead?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

Are business cards dead?

Post by DrF » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 am

Your views on this :)

Are business cards dead?

I'm asking because of 2 things, I cant remember the last time someone actually gave me a physical card and today someone wanted to send me a digital one.

Someone just showed me a book of business cards he collected his turned them into a phone book basically, I guess that could work :)
Could just take a photo with a phone now and use that too.

Never thought a bit of cardboard would be such a complex thing :lol:

Gargoyle

Re: Are business cards dead?

Post by Gargoyle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am

I work in the print industry here in NZ, while things are becoming digital or moving online there's still plenty of business cards being typeset and printed here. And yes, there's a book in the main production factory with a whole collection of various contacts and their business cards in slipcases. Clients are still willing to pay more for gold foiling, Spot UV layers and blind embossing too if they can afford it. If they want a cheaper option for gold print (as opposed to ink or foiling) we can offer a digitally printed gold toner too which is much cheaper. So yeah, I personally still see plenty of business cards surrounding me, lol!

derkom

Post by derkom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 am

I think they are dead around here, except for things like taxi drivers. I still sometimes am handed a business card by them, but other than that, I don't think I've been given a business card (in a business environment) in a long time. Last time I had any of my own, it was the 1990s, and I think I only gave away 20 out of a box of 500. :)

If you haven't seen this great scene from the movie American Psycho, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

Everyone who has seen it knows exactly what I just linked. Very appropriate that this follows Gargoyle's response. ;)

Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:14 am

Gahah!! I remember this clip from a while back. Yep, very appropriate ;)

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:24 pm

I use them all the time, and get asked for them a lot.. Probably give out about 10 a week, can't say I see a decline here, though most tradesmen to lazy to get some printed :roll: Places like B&B's always seem to have a lot of cards.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:04 pm

All very interesting :)

I guess it depends on the job/trade then, it seems more traditional tradesmen/service like jobs still use them alot.
I tend to just Google everything and everyone and get there details like that because I always would lose cards anyhow same for leaflets unless it had a voucher on I never keep them.
Gargoyle wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am
I work in the print industry here in NZ, while things are becoming digital or moving online there's still plenty of business cards being typeset and printed here. And yes, there's a book in the main production factory with a whole collection of various contacts and their business cards in slipcases. Clients are still willing to pay more for gold foiling, Spot UV layers and blind embossing too if they can afford it. If they want a cheaper option for gold print (as opposed to ink or foiling) we can offer a digitally printed gold toner too which is much cheaper. So yeah, I personally still see plenty of business cards surrounding me, lol!
I wonder if all that extra optional fancy printing on the card makes people think it's expensive and more likely to actually keep the card?
I remember the VistaPrint ads on TV all the time a few years back, they cut down a lot now thank god they really was crap :lol:

If Instagram is anything to go by people are going mad for so called "slaps" aka stickers, I see a lot of people advertising services for making/printing those and people going wild for them like a school playground sticker swap, grown men arguing over who gets what stickers its weird :lol:
derkom wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 am
If you haven't seen this great scene from the movie American Psycho, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY
Bet them cost a fair bit, look a bit plain to me, not the kind of thing I would have, I guess it depends on the market again. :)

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm

DrF wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:04 pm
I guess it depends on the job/trade then, it seems more traditional tradesmen/service like jobs still use them alot.
I tend to just Google everything and everyone and get there details like that because I always would lose cards anyhow same for leaflets unless it had a voucher on I never keep them.
I dish out leaflets as well, I think people keep them because there is a picture of me on the front, so they always have my number because that's also on the leaflet, That's my theory anyway, but I give them a card just in case as well, its got a big smiley face on the back.. been there years.. nobody noticed yet :roll: :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm

exxos wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm
I dish out leaflets as well, I think people keep them because there is a picture of me on the front, so they always have my number because that's also on the leaflet, That's my theory anyway, but I give them a card just in case as well, its got a big smiley face on the back.. been there years.. nobody noticed yet :roll: :lol:
So there keeping the leaflet because your beauty graces the front, the phone number is just a bonus?
I can see that :D

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 pm

DrF wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm
So there keeping the leaflet because your beauty graces the front, the phone number is just a bonus?
I can see that :D
Exactly ;)

I really hate that song! I just wanna shout "shuttt the helllllllll uppppppppp" Guy used to work with used to play that crap and others all bloody day! :pullhair: :stars: :stars: :crazy: :crazy:

Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Didn't get a chance to reply to this lately, but yes I think business cards are still viable for many people, because it's about solidifying their identity, their corporate identity, also they are small and still quite portable. You don't need power to switch it on, you pick it up and look at it, that's also another thing. "I am here."

It is true that in a sense if a card looks expensive, gold foiled, printed on Conqueror Brilliant White (laid) it does make the person wielding it look more important and authoritative sometimes. Funny I know, but this is how it works it seems. It goes back to when you prepare an "old fashioned" letter; by the time you have finished writing it, put it into the envelope, addressed it, stamped it, walked up the road to the letterbox, you meant what you wrote!