Are business cards dead?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

Re: Are business cards dead?

Post by DrF » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Just had 2 appear though the door for a taxi company and pizza place, weird not had any in well over a year :D

The taxi one was a thick card, white, basic looking, phone number what more you need really.
The pizza one was a glossy one, lots of color and slightly bigger than normal, but was also a voucher on the back, maybe that would make people keep the card knowing they get something out of it.
Gargoyle wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm
You don't need power to switch it on, you pick it up and look at it, that's also another thing. "I am here."
That's a point Goggles not always there, iffy connection here at the best of times.
Gargoyle wrote:
It is true that in a sense if a card looks expensive, gold foiled, printed on Conqueror Brilliant White (laid) it does make the person wielding it look more important and authoritative sometimes. Funny I know, but this is how it works it seems.
That's another good point on the card, if someone hands me super gold plated, carved from fallen cosmic moonstone by the a load of ancient monks I tend to think there a bit... :lol:
It's like trying to look bigger than they are, I know if there talking to me they cant be all that great :lol:
Gargoyle wrote:
It goes back to when you prepare an "old fashioned" letter; by the time you have finished writing it, put it into the envelope, addressed it, stamped it, walked up the road to the letterbox, you meant what you wrote!
Stamps going out of fashion too, all machine printed too :(

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm

DrF wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm
That's another good point on the card, if someone hands me super gold plated, carved from fallen cosmic moonstone by the a load of ancient monks I tend to think there a bit... :lol:
It's like trying to look bigger than they are, I know if there talking to me they cant be all that great :lol:
On the other hand, when someone hands you a card with nothing but his name on it, you know he is important ;) The more stuff there is on it, the less important the person is usually.

I personally like business cards. I have a really bad name memory, and when I was in meeting with customers I always collected their cards and placed them in the same order and direction in front of me as they sat at the table. That helped a lot. Unless they change seats, when you are out for a minute of course :-D
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

DrF

Post by DrF » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:57 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm
On the other hand, when someone hands you a card with nothing but his name on it, you know he is important ;) The more stuff there is on it, the less important the person is usually.
A update to this after a little bit of testing :lol:

I made myself a mono/grayscale version of my card just as a idea, also the mono laser printer is cheaper to run :lol: , its got more response and more attention and people say they like it better, so I guess sometimes less is more :lol:

Maybe it stands out being bold in a sea of glossy over the top clip art style cards?

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:27 pm

I have my own software consulting business. Been going very well for 2 years now... never had a business card... but then LinkedIn has kinda replaced them in my industry.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:04 pm

They are dead if your doing retro stuff... Can't see me handing out "exxos retro sales" on a business cards somehow..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.