Unclear manuals

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
KyleB

Unclear manuals

Post by KyleB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Having a go at getting a bigger scsi drive in my mste, a seagate. This one has jumpers on to configure ID

So I pull the manual up, https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/sup ... siqug3.pdf

and lo and behold, to set IDs the jumpers have to be certain combinations of IN and OUT. you what mate? I've heard of on and off, open and closed, but in and out? gibberish.

I had my best guess of "out" meaning "off" and it doesn't bloody work.

SolderGirl

Re: Unclear manuals

Post by SolderGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 pm

I just read that manual, and it really not very clear. but if i see it correctly,
for all drives but the smallest, there are two blocks of jumpers that need to be configured
to the same ID

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah, really confusing.
OUT would be jumper out - so no jumper, IN - jumper in place :D
What is important is to set ID properly, so ID0-ID2 - no jumpers for ID=0, what is default by Mega STE .
And need to put jumper to E7 to disable parity. If your drive hasn't it - bad luck. Will not work with Mega STE's adapter.
Not to mention capacity limit of 1GB.
There is solution for both: http://atari.8bitchip.info/modmste1.html
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 pm

E7 jumper set to turn parity off, SCSI terminators removed, no driver can find this. Not yours, not HDDRIVER, not ICD pro

Tried every possible combination. Nothing works.

I give up, sending it back to ebay seller as broken.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm

It may be broken, or just not compatible with Mega STE adapter. I have here couple Quantum drives which are OK for sure, but dosn't work even with TT.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:46 am

Well if it's the case that atari SCSI is picky about drives,, then there's no practical solution. I don't want to spend fifty years trying different drives at £££ ebay prices to find magically compatible one.

I gave up with satandisk because of time and stress from "bad" SD cards (that work in literally everything else). Now real hard disks give me the same dicciculty. I guess I have to go back to that and try exxos cpu replacement solution, or whatever.

All I want is 1GB of storage. Literally any other computer not a problem but Atari is kicking me in the balls over it.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 am

It is little late for SCSI drives now. You can not blame Atari for not supporting future drives - adapter designed in 1991 should support drives which will be manufactured 10 years later ? Main problem is now to find working drive, manufactured 20 and more years ago. Ebay is not really good source, but it looks that there is not much choice now. In my city there were some 5 second hand computer shops 10 years ago, now there is only one, and no SCSI drives.
What works well with Mega STE are older IBM drives with capacity 1-4 GB, but will need 68 pin connector/adapter. Older Quantum drives are OK too, what means min 15 years old.

Considering Satandisk and SD cards: I said that usual problem are low quality cards, not that it is concrete case. How can someone give 100% sure remote diagnosis ? Are you aware that Satandisk can not work with Hc SD cards ? Only non-Hc, and you will hardly find such new now.
Satandisk is just bad buy - it is not so much cheaper than UltraSatan, which has 2 slots + RTC, is about 6x faster, can handle high capacity cards (I tested with max 32 GB and was fine), while Satandisk can theoretically max 4 GB with proper driver, if you find 4 GB non-Hc card - so far I know only one man who has such. But as said, non-Hc offer is limited.
Please stop blaming Atari for not supporting future HW (for it's time) and for Satandisk's limitations. In past, SCSI was most popular with Ataris, prices were reasonable, and everyone could find proper drive. Now it is harder, and I know how much problems diverse oldies have with CF cards.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Is a SD to SCSI adaptor not a viable solution?

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:08 pm

DrF wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:41 pm
For price of it can get UltraSatan, and then no 1 GB limit. Myself tried SCSI-SD adapter on Mega STE, and it worked, but needed first to update it's firmware. As usual, nothing is so simple here.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:28 pm

DrF wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:41 pm
right above you:
KyleB wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:46 am
Well if it's the case that atari SCSI is picky about drives,, then there's no practical solution. I don't want to spend fifty years trying different drives at £££ ebay prices to find magically compatible one.

I gave up with satandisk because of time and stress from "bad" SD cards (that work in literally everything else). Now real hard disks give me the same dicciculty. I guess I have to go back to that and try exxos cpu replacement solution, or whatever.

All I want is 1GB of storage. Literally any other computer not a problem but Atari is kicking me in the balls over it.
It's suspected this machine has some DMA problem, maybe. I don't know. It has write errors with satandisk, unzip or copy lots of files causes the satandisk to crash, and warm reboot gives 4 bombs. It's been suggested to try a different rev 68000.

Since it is stable with the atari OEM 48MB drive I'll live with that for now, but if anyone has a bigger (200mb -1gb) drive they know works in MegaSTE, I would like to buy it.