Halt Catch Fire depicting computer industry Atari ST SE2

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
zack4mac

Halt Catch Fire depicting computer industry Atari ST SE2

Post by zack4mac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm

I have just started watching this series depicting computer industry. Starting with the company Cardiff Electrical a interesting likeness of Compaq with Steve Jobs half brother head of sales who clone the IBM bios. The time line and events seem to be mixed skewed with other companies, but I like it. It gets my vote for computer titillation :) it features both Commodore C64 and the Atari ST
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt
"Bertrand Russell" :?

calimero

Re: Halt Catch Fire depicting computer industry Atari ST SE2

Post by calimero » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm

zack4mac wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Steve Jobs half brother head of sales who clone the IBM bios
This is real fact or something made up?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm

calimero wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm
zack4mac wrote:
Not entirely firstly Cardiff=Compaq who did clone the first IBM PC bios using a two teams of engineers. The first teem who read the bios code then explained how it worked to the second teem who then not only created a new bios but I think it was more efficient, bearing in mind IBM always liked to have a big markup, this made it easy for Compaq to then build a computer much cheaper.

Then there are hardware similarities examples like cpu hardware the Motorola 6800 giving birth to the 6502 via Chuck Peddle via Mos/Commodore into which the CBM PET was born at around the same time as Apple released their machine.

Parallels can seen between Steven Wozniak and Steve Jobs, who is the true genius? the scientist or the demanding mind manipulator who is allays looking for his next bet? who visited XEROX Park and how long had Jay miner been playing around with the notion of a 16 bit multi processor machine while at Atari? could it have been when Wozniak and Jobs worked there? Jobs also visited Amiga this can be seen on the internet!

I don't recall the internet online games, maybe puzzle games or score sharing over bulletining boards?
I read a book I thn'k it was "Commodore A Company on the Edge"

I maybe wrong but it talks about other companies beginnings and mentioned about the two geniuses in garage not being entirely true? and it was a marketing stunt? I will need to check :)

Chuck Peddle who created the 6502 mentions when Commodore invested finance and shared a new architectures in a overseas company (I think Seiko) to help produce printers and when they eventually went to visit they had the door slammed in their face.

And this is probably just the surface, who invented the wheel? was it a rock that sheered in the right way, I dont know I only played the game B.Cs quest I never read his book :lol:
Although it is not impossible for two or more people to come up with the same idea?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 pm

calimero wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm
zack4mac wrote:
One thing I do know my Girlfriend loves it more than breaking bad!

Petari

Post by Petari » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 am

I watched first season and partially second one. Surely not realistic or historically accurate.
Atari ST was visible only once, for short, but main characters never shown using it. Most of it happened with C64 in first season.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am

Petari wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 am
I watched first season and partially second one. Surely not realistic or historically accurate.
Atari ST was visible only once, for short, but main characters never shown using it. Most of it happened with C64 in first season.
I do agree that it would be more interesting if it was fully factual, I would love to see the truth of why Jack Trammel left Commodore and the full history of Atari from a non biased outlook.
Is it the accurate representation of the facts, It depends on how you look at it and what are the facts? I think it is a full representation of the methods and some events depicting intellectual cloning and skulduggery, ego-greed driven infighting!

Compaq did clone the IBM's bios and the characters are realistic. Technology timeline is out somewhat. like online 3D game play happening before BBS, but they have to keep people interested and that is when I chuckle to myself :)

Don't get me wrong I'm not Scott Mueller, but I do like watching for the actors reactions when they are talking about something they know nothing about! Gordon Clarke is more like Gary Kildall than a Steven Wozniak, this can be seen at the beginning when the failure of his superior product is noted and how his character progresses.

Similarities between Joe who convinces a party of people in his room at CES that the Giant PC is working when it is quite clear it's not! and Chuck Peddle, exert from the rise of Mos "Unfortunately, when MOS arrived at the show they were told that, in an effort the keep the show ‘high brow’, exhibitors were not allowed to sell product at their booths. Chuck quickly rented a nearby hotel room and had is very attractive wife, sit at a table with two glass jars full of newly minted MOS 6501’s. Little did the buyers know that all of the chips in the bottom of those jars were defective. “Image is everything”, Chuck says."

I like it because its not standard mainstream Bill Gates or I love Steve Jobs

Regards
Mike

calimero

Post by calimero » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:02 pm

zack4mac wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am
I do agree that it would be more interesting if it was fully factual, I would love to see the truth of why Jack Trammel left Commodore and the full history of Atari from a non biased outlook.
From Leonarda Tramiel:

btw
It looks like that I need to watch the show...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:16 pm

I like what he said, nothing is accurate.

calimero

Post by calimero » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 pm

^
Then there can not be “non biased” history of Atari what you asked for ;)