A BIt of Advice Please

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
yell0w_lantern

A BIt of Advice Please

Post by yell0w_lantern » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 am

I have a plain 520 ST with Rainbow TOS.
For gaming purposes, would there be any practical difference between upgrading this ST with the 1.5 accelerator/4mb RAM/cap upgrade versus getting a later all-in-one model like a STFM or STE and upgrading taht with something similar? I don't want to do a bunch of work on my ST only to find out that I would not be able to play certain games because it lacks chips found in later models or something like that.

Tophe38

Re: A BIt of Advice Please

Post by Tophe38 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am

Hi,

It depends on which games you want to play. Only few games have STE enhancement, or use extra memory, or have incompatibilities with your hardware.

My only advice is replace your old floppy drive with HxC floppy emulator, and have fun :D

Tophe

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am

If you want the upgrade route then I would go with a STE.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:36 pm

The STE is a bit tidier about certain things (ram just plugs in, and the cpu boosters are faster) but honestly it makes no difference for playing games.

Probably the ST has the advantage as you already have it and the booster is still in stock.

yell0w_lantern

Post by yell0w_lantern » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:18 am

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. I will stick with the 520 ST. I have a HXC floppy emulator and my uncle's handmade Atari 14 pin to IDE adapter for it but I'm waiting for a GBS8220 to arrive. I've already assembled a 13 pin din adapter plug. Once I have that going, it will be easier for me to test out what the 520 can do because I just don't have room to set up the monitor. The only time I've dragged out the ST, monitor, and drives I had to set it up on the deep freeze and almost spilled the ST twice.

yell0w_lantern

Post by yell0w_lantern » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:21 am

Curses! Foiled again!
The 8220 is only giving me a light grey screen from the ST. The Amiga is a little dark but okay. The Acorn Electron looks great.
I've rechecked the connections several times, tried separate H and V syncs, combined H and V (just wire, no additional components), 2 different inputs to the 8220, and a few other wiring tweaks but no luck.

DoG

Post by DoG » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:26 am

Maybe try it with this from Arananet.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 am

There is no Atari model, TOS version what can play all games. Actually situation is even absurd with some titles - will crash with 4 MB RAM for instance, while work fine with 512 KB RAM. But there is more of it what needs 1 MB RAM. Booster will make some games working better, but some will not like higher CPU speed - but that's minority.
Surely STE is what can play all it - but only in theory . The chips are there, but many games will fail just because of TOS version. Some because of bad code.
Many of them are patched to work on STE. Example:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/G/grandms.php
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

SolderGirl

Post by SolderGirl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48 am

First of all, it would be really prefered if you could confirm that the output of the ST works properly.
Could be tested with an original monitor, or compatible TV (RGB-SCART) or something like that.

Then, it depends on your model. If you have a plain ST without RF Modulator, there is a composite sync signal on the connector.
According to http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/int ... _connector it should be on Pin2 on the DIN connector of the ST.

If you have a ST with RF modulator, this pin should have a composite video output signal, that could be tested to see if the machine is working correctly.

The main problem is, there is no way of telling if the signal from the ST is correct in the first place. There may be a defect on that end, or you may need the sync-combiner that DoG linked, or something else.

According to the manual at http://www.sax.de/~zander/aktuell/arcad ... verter.pdf
you might have to adjust the clamp values:
Have black item on screen, or all screen it’s too black, or picture discoloration.
-please adjust “Clamp sp” and “Clamp st”, please keep “Clamp st” less than “Clamp sp”.
-advice “Clamp st” SET “03” , “Clamp sp” SET “04”.

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Oh good god, a GBS board. my professional, experienced advice: throw it away!

They're not that hard to get working if you know how (With the ST it needs feeding sync through an LM1881 stripper IC), but it's pointless because they're rubbish. People advertise them as scandoublers but really they're just incredibly crap scalers.

You'd be better off with a SCART tv.