Giving up on atari

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
KyleB

Giving up on atari

Post by KyleB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 am

Decided this is all big waste of time. Get satandisk, never bloody works right, get told I'm using wrong SD card (nobody says what right SD card is). Buy specially advertised one on ebay, never shows up, get refund. Figure okay whatever, don't want to spent 100 years hunting holy grail of sd card that works for a bad designed reader, I'll get SCSI drive off ebay. Doesn't work. Get told by petari "oh i have one that will work" doesn't either. Get falcon, no falcon demos even work on it somehow. Replace clock patch, replace ram, replace PSU, no change in behavior. Ask to buy phantom remake, get ghosted on.

it's all going in the bin, I've bought an amiga. You plug a CF card in and it works. Someone says they have a thing to sell, and you can actually buy it without them going senile and forgetting you.

Anyone want Atari falcon for £1000 it's yours, has azerty keyboard, missing top shield and four stupid holes drilled in back, you can play both games that were released on it. MSTE now being useful as foot stool.

Darklord

Re: Giving up on atari

Post by Darklord » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:14 am

Wow, sensing some real frustration there. I had a Satandisk. It was a bit finicky as
far as cards go - I found that if I just used standard Sandisk SD cards they worked fine.

Not sure about your SCSI drive woes, so I can't comment on that (make and model?)

I've had 3-4 Falcons over the years. Wonderful machines. You kinda have to get to
know whats going on for everything to work right, especially demos. Some won't work
anywhere but low res, some won't run but in certain resolutions, etc, etc. Some have
to have more than 1 meg, even more then 4 sometimes. You have to invest a little
time getting to know the beast - it is worth it! :)

I've owned several Amiga's. An A1000 (my fav), an A2000, and two A1200's. They are
okay machines but far from perfect. They have their faults as well.

I'm sorry to see you're letting your Falcon go. I do hope it winds up in a good home. As
far as that Mega STe goes - that would be a real shame to use the top of the line, last
ST(e) model released by Atari Corp. in such a fashion. :roll:

Betcha someone would love to buy it from you mate. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:59 am

I think I found best use for MSTE as a foot stool. Given that it's told me in no uncertain terms only the OEM 48mb seagate will work, there's no other practical use... I will not sell it to other people because it can only cause them pain and frustration too.

Falcon on other hand, I want the money back so I can spend it on something useful, like two cars.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 am

If you have machines for sale, please put images and info in the for sale section.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:15 am

KyleB wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 am
Decided this is all big waste of time.
Of course it is ;) What real purpose could a 30 years old computer have nowadays? You love it or you leave it. These things need patience and time, and hell yeah it gets frustrating at times. But this is true for ALL these systems, not special to the Falcon.
Get satandisk
The Satandisk is deprecated for a reason... It's a little late now, but getting a UltraSatan with a working SD included from Lotharek would have been the better way I guess. As said, you need patience, especially when finding out, which expansions work and which don't. And in doubt ask questions in forums. There is no plug and play with this stuff, not any more.
get told I'm using wrong SD card (nobody says what right SD card is)
That's a difficult topic, not because no one knows, but because there is a huge amount of fakes around. You usually will have no issues in general with Sandisk, provided you get a genuine one.
it's all going in the bin, I've bought an amiga. You plug a CF card in and it works.
From own experience I can only say, you got extremely lucky. I have a whole box of CF cards lying around, that do not work in my Amiga 1200 or are even damaged to the point of unrecoverability by it. That was a huge pain, until I bought one from Vesalia. Not to mention the bad caps or the missing modifications causing random crashes with accelerators or the bad power supplies....
Someone says they have a thing to sell, and you can actually buy it without them going senile and forgetting you.
Besides of Exxos's store I can recommend Lotharek wholeheartedly for Atari Stuff. He is fast, affordable and damn reliable.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry