Price increases in China?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Price increases in China?

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm

I have noticed this a lot over the past year, prices of parts in China are skyrocketing, but does anyone know why?

As I am running out of chips in my store, I was looking to bulk buy as many general ones as I could afford to.. But the price seems to have literally doubled since a about a year ago, chips, and a lot of sellers have simply seemed to have vanished.

It does seem like China are running out of stock of various things, so this could be why...

Though as I said in another thread a few days ago, my stock of general Atari chips has basically come to an end, the prices on a lot of chips will increase, but even the more generic ones are likely to double in price very soon as well.. Of course this isn't down to me inflating the prices for no reason, its just that they are literally costing double the amount to buy them in recent months..

This is of course rather a concern for a supply of even general chips. I am struggling to find chips of late, the PLCC 68HC000 was actually very difficult to find, but I managed to find a reel of them in the USA which I purchased.

So this seems to be the trend of how things are going, harder to find and prices going up :(
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PaulJ

Re: Price increases in China?

Post by PaulJ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:23 pm

You would think you could find all the old stuff here in the USA but apparientely they just throw the old stuff away. I know for businesses here they get taxed on invetory so the just chuck it. When I'm looking for something old I usually find it in Europe or China. Also there's alway Best but their kind of pricy although they ship quick which I like! I'm not very good at waiting.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:23 pm
You would think you could find all the old stuff here in the USA but apparientely they just throw the old stuff away. I know for businesses here they get taxed on invetory so the just chuck it. When I'm looking for something old I usually find it in Europe or China. Also there's alway Best but their kind of pricy although they ship quick which I like! I'm not very good at waiting.
Taxed on inventory ?! What you simply get taxed on stock for holding it ?

USA seems to have a lot more stock than EU areas (and even China in some cases)...

People thought I was mad producing the 30pin simms when they are easily obtainable in the USA.. But here in EU, they are not. It is okay if you just want a odd set I guess, most people may be lucky may find a odd set cheap.. But I have seen these get more expensive and less available as time has gone on. So I started making them, not huge sellers of course, but while I can make these myself they are still rather expensive to obtain the DRAM chips.

I just see in a couple of years there will be a huge shortage of all these chips, and basically suppliers like myself will end up charging more like BEST prices for stuff.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 pm

For the older chips, there has to be an element of we are running out because nobody is making them any more.

I just looked up the 68HC000 on UTSOURCE and they are coming in at £3-£4 apiece if bought individually, with prices dropping around 50-60 pence if you buy 100 plus items.

I've had quite a lot from them and the quality has been ok, though I don't know how these prices compare to what you were paying before.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 pm
I just looked up the 68HC000 on UTSOURCE and they are coming in at £3-£4 apiece if bought individually, with prices dropping around 50-60 pence if you buy 100 plus items.
Where your looking at that ? This is what I see mostly...
ut.jpg
ut.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 168 times

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:39 pm

I just did a search in UTSOURCE for 68HC000.

This looks like the same as your search:
68k.PNG
68k.PNG (42.97 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Only cheaper. :shrug:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:07 pm

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:39 pm
I just did a search in UTSOURCE for 68HC000.

This looks like the same as your search:
Only cheaper. :shrug:
Mines in $ not £... but where did you find them at like 50p for 100+ ?

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Ahh, I think you mis-read my post.

I said the prices dropped by 50-60p, not that they were 50-60p.

Your pic came out fuzzy my end, so I didn't notice the $ signs.
Plus the rest..

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm

ah oops, yeah, around £3-£4 is about what they are now. Gets heavy postage wise when buying a lot of them, so price goes up even more.. even more hit with taxes and not all of them work either. Its why they end up at like £10 in my store as I only make about £1 on them after all the costs :(

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 pm

I wonder if this is merely an extension of the massive under availability of discrete parts hitting the computing industry at the moment.

Cisco, Dell and other manufacturers are having great difficulty sourcing parts for their equipment and the lead times for machines have gone from days to weeks/months with price increases too. Apparently, although there's increasing demand the manufacturers don't want to invest in what they see as "legacy products" and hence the supply isn't ramping up. The analysis I saw reported stated that the increased demand was due to the electric card industry syphoning up the products, not leaving enough for the computing industry.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.