Web shop postage cost thoughts

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Web shop postage cost thoughts

Post by exxos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am

As people know I only ship tracked and/or signed for in my web shop. This is because of huge bad experiences in the past. Also if a package doesn't turn up I basically get the blame and I have no way or knowing if the buyer has had the package or not. In such cases I would end up refunding or resending items which if it was a £200 order, its not funny. So sending tracked saves me huge stress and headaches which is why I only ship that method.

However, I also realise that if someone wants a chip and its cost more to post it than the chip is worth, its not good for the buyer...

The problem here is I have to send stuff in boxes. Packages have to be 25mm or less to get cheaper postage rates ( aside from tracked prices ). While I could send a chip in a jiffy, they tend to end up crushed, so me doing someone a favour for cheaper post tends to backfire on me and ends up costing me more.

Similar with connectors, most thing cheap jiffy bag and won't cost much.. But its not so simple as they are end up taller than 25mm even in a jiffy so sending in a box makes no odds price wise. This is why a lot of small stuff goes in a box anyway. Jiffys are only good for PCBs or stuff which can't easily be crushed.

Similar with kits I sell. Some may go in a jiffy but Headerpins can get broken or bent that way. So pretty much every order has to go in a box. So the packaging can't really be done any cheaper without high risk or damages.

But of course people in EU for example are paying like £12 shipping for a part which may only cost £5. With postage costs always on the increase its a bit silly... But currently it has to be like that because of the summery of issues above.

BUT, what about a compromise... My thought was to do something to my store which gives a option for not tracked packages but only to select people. Basically people who have been regular here or ordered several times from my store. People know I send the stuff out.. But new customers don't know me so much rather stuff go tracked as of course there is a buyer seller trust issue there.

While it in theory could work, this would also mean I don't want any backlash like when I sold on eBay, where 50℅ of packages would mysteriously go missing each day and I end up in endless disputes with people as I cannot prove items have been sent or if the buyer actually had them items or not. So if any items were shipped not tracked then its at the buyers risk not mine. This is technically against the distance selling regulations , where a seller can't say "screw you" if the buyer doesn't get the package. In case of eBay, buyers honesty is at play there, and experience has shown 50% of customers I had were not honest.

I get emails all the time of people basically complaing about how stuff can go in a jiffy cheaper ( well most of the time no it can't ) but while stuff like PCBs can go cheaper, its the risk of it all and I don't want to get involved with disputes with people, which is why I just send everything tracked and have done with it all.

Some people have even lectured me about how they send stuff in jiffy bags all the time and nothing gets damaged. Well good for them. I posted a package to terrible fire which was the dram Chips for his motherboard, they arrived crushed and that's a UK to UK package.

95% of packages may well arrive fine, but a couple of lost packages, be it slow postal system of dishonest buyers , or like recently a guy opened a dispute because he was to lazy to pickup hisnpacksge from the post office, it drags into disputes which can go on for weeks or months. I just don't want the stress of all.

Currently sending custom packages cheaper, I had to raise a custom payment, manually take stock off my database, then remember to send the info to my girlfriend.. It turns into a bit of a epic which people don't realise. My store is totally automated , in have pretty much zero involvement with it all. So when I raise a custom order, it actually creates me a lot of work. Basically to save the customer a bit on postage.

This doesn't mean I am not sympathetic to people paying high postage costs for something small either. Its why I think if I only allow select people who are not going to hold me liable for lost packages if the buyer has paid for not tracked postage. I could also add jiffy bags to smaller items like PCBs and plcc chips etc... This would be all at the buyers risk.

I don't think anyone here would object to this idea, ( please let me know your thoughts!) Of course buyers if ordering a expensive package should have the sense to chose tracked option anyway ...

As to what the criteria would be to allow such options I am not sure about. Some people have done several orders to my store which could be a qualifying factor , basically as they are not new customers.

So the bottom line is, I want to help people out with cheaper postage options, but I also do not want the stress of any problems which may arise when there is no tracking options and then package goes missing or something.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Web shop postage cost thoughts

Post by troed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 am

exxos wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am
Currently sending custom packages cheaper, I had to raise a custom payment, manually take stock off my database, then remember to send the info to my girlfriend.. It turns into a bit of a epic which people don't realise. My store is totally automated , in have pretty much zero involvement with it all. So when I raise a custom order, it actually creates me a lot of work. Basically to save the customer a bit on postage.
Don't create more work for yourself.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:47 am

troed wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 am
exxos wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am
Currently sending custom packages cheaper, I had to raise a custom payment, manually take stock off my database, then remember to send the info to my girlfriend.. It turns into a bit of a epic which people don't realise.
Don't create more work for yourself.
True, but that's a custom payment done outside of my store. Other than the re-programming of my store, it would (ultimately) be just a tick box on checkout for postage options, but only for select people. The only work would be the initial setup times of it all.. time I don't have true, but I am just seeing what people think of this at this point :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

mikro

Post by mikro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:51 am

Yeah, I could easily argue that I haven't had any bad experiences with sending stuff in envelopes but if you have - do what suits YOU best. Who doesn't accept it, well, he can go looking somewhere else.

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:39 pm

We're lucky enough having you around, safe postage just comes with its cost.

Though it might be an idea to offer jiffy mailing support for stuff that doesn't crush easily or is very cheap. For example, your PSU recap kits, switches,
TOS chips (which could sit in one of those stiff containers/tubes I sometime get stuff sent into by electron parts sellers).

But on the other hand, if the disputes take up too much of your precious time, I just wouldn't do it and stick with the way it is.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm

jiffy for re-caps kits isn't really possible, it has to be under 25mm height for a jiffy to save on postage ... I wouldn't ship caps in a jiffy as can get crushed easily.

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:47 pm

exxos wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm
jiffy for re-caps kits isn't really possible, it has to be under 25mm height for a jiffy to save on postage ... I wouldn't ship caps in a jiffy as can get crushed easily.
Yeah, forgot about the larger caps. If only they were ceramics right? ;)

pobolycwm

Post by pobolycwm » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 pm

just ordered my cpu dual tos will have to wait till next payday, as a query if i ordered the pair together would the postage have still been a fiver ?

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm

pobolycwm wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 pm
just ordered my cpu dual tos will have to wait till next payday, as a query if i ordered the pair together would the postage have still been a fiver ?
Yep.. Ordering multiple items results in generally same postage costs (works out cheaper for the buyer that way). The only time postage will jump is if ordering heavy items like floppy drives, PSU's etc.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:31 pm

With the Brexit heading south I expect the problems with international postage rather increase than decrease, so I would always prefer having tracking (and insurance!) enabled, even if it costs a couple of EURs more in the future.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry