If you had only ONE Atari, what would it be?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: If you had only ONE Atari, what would it be?

Post by Petari » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 am

This reminded me little to talk about what worth is one Porsche car in desert :D
Yes, pretty much worthless. Having same Atari config as it was about 30 years ago today is not only having Atari, but you need compatible peripherals - screen in first place. Then floppy disks in good shape - and later becomes more and more problematic.

And not only World is what changed, but we too :D So, expectations may be "little" higher . Maybe I don't want to wait 4 minutes that Dungeon Master start . Could continue, but I guess you got the picture.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 am

Petari wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 am
And not only World is what changed, but we too :D So, expectations may be "little" higher . Maybe I don't want to wait 4 minutes that Dungeon Master start . Could continue, but I guess you got the picture.
Conversely, instead of getting to the desktop within a very few seconds, to start the load of Dungeon Master, instead you're waiting 4 minutes for your high-end Windows 10 machine to get to the desktop to run your favourite game... and then wait for it's updates to download and install....

Progress? :lol: ;)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

grobda

Post by grobda » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am

Petari wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 am
This reminded me little to talk about what worth is one Porsche car in desert :D
well, unless it's a 959 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLSxkXsU1Y

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am

stephen_usher wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 am
Conversely, instead of getting to the desktop within a very few seconds, to start the load of Dungeon Master, instead you're waiting 4 minutes for your high-end Windows 10 machine to get to the desktop to run your favourite game... and then wait for it's updates to download and install....
I can boot my ST and format a floppy in the time it takes my PC to work out if there is a floppy in the drive or not.

ST's have instant OS reinstall at power up as well... We have "fast on" with PC's these days, basically keep it all in RAM at turn off, :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 am

stephen_usher wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 am

Progress? :lol: ;)
Sorry, but you assuming things without real ground. For instance I wrote here about that abandoned Win 10 usage - mostly because those forced updates (which does not improved it, contrary) .
I was at topic, and I meant starting Dungeon Master on real Atari, in few seconds. That can be much faster than with original (and most of cracks) even from floppy: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/D/dungmast.php

And to add, even if it is obvious at that page: you can speed up things not only by faster HW, but with better SW.
Then, STE can give improvement even with SW originally not made with using STE extended features.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 am

Dear God, is this repeating of boot times of some machine with 200 KB ROM OS and multi GB on hard disk modern OS necessary here ?
Then, that slow floppy access is not normal case, as I said already. This will not make people loving Atari more ...
I don't need to wait my PC to start Windows normally - it is on whole day.
But really, try to stay at topic. I talked about running SW on real Atari much more efficient. And spent many years working on that purpose. Sorry for bragging, but some really rather assume bad than good about people :(