PC mouse refresh rate

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: PC mouse refresh rate

Post by sandord » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:23 am

tzok wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 pm
That's not completely true that LCD has no flickering. It has, and it always had. In a huge simplification pixel transparency (brightness) is proportional to voltage (charge) applied to that pixel (cell). But due to the nature of the LCD displays the average cell charge have to be 0, to avoid LCD degradation. So even if pixel has a constant brightness from frame to frame it is being constantly switched from +C to -C. Voltage (charge) polarity doesn't have effect on transparency, yet it will have to cross 0 going from +C to -C and the opposite way. Polarized cell is opaque, unpolarized is transparent thus pixel goes white during this transient (that's why black color is so poorly represented on LCDs). In OLED displays the backlight is switched off during this polarization switchover phase to compensate this effect and improve contrast. The polarization switch is done in phase with refresh rate, but 2x or 4x times faster (2x/4x per frame).
That's interesting info. I don't think the effect is perceivable though. Recording video of an LCD always gives a steady picture, much unlike filming a CRT. Anyway, like I said, interesting stuff :geek:

sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by sandord » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am

Petari wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am
If I want to spend money on some better monitor it would be more resolution and true LED monitor (OLED) - but still don't see them on market here.
I'm afraid that OLED monitors would quickly lead to disappointment since they would tend to burn in. The same with plasma. In the past I've been running my PC on my plasma RV for a while and after a week of moderate use (1 hour per day) the task bar was vaguely visible on the screen when it was off. One year later it still is, although barely visible.

OLED is perfect for watching TV and movies because there's sufficient variation on the screen. Computer output not so much. It's a real pity, I used to look forward to getting this stuff on my desktop for a long time.

OLED on phones is usually fine although I have seen several ones with extreme burn-in.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:37 am

Yes, that's known problem with current (O)LED technology. And btw. same was present with early LCD displays. Was not called burning, but basically same thing - degradation after some thousands of hours usage. Progress seems to be not so fast in all areas ..
Main reason why it can be better is simple: it generates video (pixels) with addition and not subtraction - what means better contrast, better colors. Power consumption can be lower too from same reason. And LED has extreme good speed, so maybe one day we will see monitors with 1 MegaHz refresh rate :lol:
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.