Forum "slogan" update ?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Forum "slogan" update ?

Post by terriblefire » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:41 pm

My 2 pence. This feels more like a retro hardware forum now...

Its Chris' forum but to me it feels more like EEVBlog meets retro harware development. I think that's the gap in the market the distinguishes the place from EAB/AF etc.

I know Chris is mostly Atari oriented ... but we're now dragging Amiga people in for CD32 action and with me here some Acorn people will turn up sooner or later. Then we're really in trouble.

Anyways I will continue to talk about the place as a retro hardware forum on my streams until told otherwise.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Agreed.
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 pm

OK its updated. No doubt some will moan, there have been many many suggestions all different, well can't please everyone but can always be changed in the future.

I doubt any other forum has Amiga & Atari people on the same forum, and we are all working together here with common goals. The retro community is not vaste these days, we need to stick together to keep the communities alive, but above all else, leave the attitude at the door.

We may well tolerate a bit of friendly banter , but we won't tolerate anyone flaming or being negative about projects. As they saying goes, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

We are here to chill out, learn new things and work on projects that we enjoy doing. I was saying the same with TF yesterday in fact. Any project worked on is because, *we* the developers want to make that project, and that is what interests us and what we enjoy doing. If anyone disagrees with this, and by all means go and develop your own projects and solutions, nothing stopping you!

I have ranted about this many times, particularly with the STF remake project. That all my work is led me to believe the ST can be made much more reliable and stable and easier to upgrade with a proper designed motherboard. This is my work and if people want to share this journey, and by all means help.

But then some people moan because I'm not designing the Falcon or something else. I have many reasons to doing what I do, and a lot of them I share here. If people want to design a new Falcon, and by all means go ahead and do it yourself, its your idea, you do it! Because it interests one person, does not mean it interests myself or other people. So people either support the current projects or don't. Endlessly complaining about this and that is only going to drive more nails in the coffin for hardware developers, and there is not many others left. We all have lives and day jobs which limit our time with many things, and this is a hobby after all for us all.

While primarily this is my forum, and I am a Atari guy as you know, I have no objections to expanding to other retro machines. We already have Amiga, Spectrum etc people here, but now TF is here, Amiga is now a big part of this forum as well. As long as people are here to learn and have fun, I really don't care what the machine is. The people make the community, not the machines.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm deeply offended, since I'm Sinclair Spectrum and Atari ST retro user over 30 years - Spectrum 35 ... :lol:
Just to moan a little :mrgreen:
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 pm

terriblefire wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:41 pm
My 2 pence. This feels more like a retro hardware forum now...

Its Chris' forum but to me it feels more like EEVBlog meets retro harware development. I think that's the gap in the market the distinguishes the place from EAB/AF etc.

I know Chris is mostly Atari oriented ... but we're now dragging Amiga people in for CD32 action and with me here some Acorn people will turn up sooner or later. Then we're really in trouble.

Anyways I will continue to talk about the place as a retro hardware forum on my streams until told otherwise.
*grumble* *grumble*

But the ST and Amiga are cousins.

The Amiga started as an Atari sponsored project but moved over to Commodore when Atari lost interest and the ST was Jack "Commodore" Tramiel's project for a cheap Mac which he started when he moved to Atari.

*sigh* :)

P.S. You *could* argue that even the Sinclair QL was an ancestor of the Amiga as AmigaDOS 1.0 was developed on Sinclair QLs, written in Metacomco BCPL by Metacomco in Bristol (and adapted from TripOS).
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 am

I think that previous post was not really necessary in this thread, what is in big part about Atari-Amiga people cowork. And that's nice thing.
I always wished to share some experiences with Amiga people, and actually I did. I gave help and necessary advice to man who made FPGA Amiga clone for IDE port section, some 8-10 years ago. Then, had some with French guy, who made OIDS to work on Amiga via some kind of ST emulator.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:36 pm

"We welcome retro users & hardware gurus alike! Come and join the party :)"

I like this. It includes everything and everyone and suggest that this is a friendly place.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |