Any local retro computer groups near Coventry UK?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Steve

Any local retro computer groups near Coventry UK?

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Hey guys,

I recently moved back to the UK and am wondering if there are any local groups around, a google search doesn't seem to bring anything up.

Thanks,

Steve
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

stephen_usher

Re: Any local retro computer groups near Coventry UK?

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m not sure that retro computing is organised enough or populous enough to have groups as such. I do meet people at special events but not in general.

The sorts of events are retro events at places such as The National Mueseum of Computing in Bletchley Park and at the computer museum in Cambridge. Also at some game meet-up such as those organised around and by the “Elite: Dangerous” community.

Otherwise I only know people via forums such as this.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Yeah I hope to go to Lavecon next year as I am an Elite Dangerous player :) But I find it weird if there aren't any retro groups.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Steve wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 pm
Yeah I hope to go to Lavecon next year as I am an Elite Dangerous player :) But I find it weird if there aren't any retro groups.
I may, or may not volunteer to run a "Retro-Lave" table, as I did a couple of years ago. I did little else other than hold the fort that year.

I did take a few machines to augment someone else's display to last year's Elite Community Meet too.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.