Falcon Upgrades

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Falcon Upgrades

Post by PaulJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 pm

I found my old box of SCSI stuff which was my preferred solution in the old days. I connected up my SCSI2SD 5.1 adaptor I had original purchased for the MSTE with the bad HD. I put the SCSI2HD in an old hard disk inclosure and connected it up. Works great!! Now I need to find some software that can talk to a SCSI streaming tape drive.. :excited: :excited: :excited:
IMG_1148A.jpg
IMG_1148A.jpg (438.14 KiB) Viewed 718 times

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Nice :) Why do you need a tape drive out of interest? Surely they are only useful for backups
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:34 pm
Nice :) Why do you need a tape drive out of interest? Surely they are only useful for backups
I have a butt load of QD6150 and 8mm tapes with lots software I've developed over the past 30 years and tools I'd like to look through again. I have plenty of tape drives but no computer setup to access a SCSI tape drive. For most of my career SCSI tape has always been the preferred backup storage method. SCSI is nice, just put the drive in the chain and it works. I've also been working on an old sun ultra 5 that used to provide customer account management for a VDSL server. Unfortunately the battery backed nvram failed and I have that on order. The ultra 5 can deal with tape easily but I have forgotten the passwords so I'll have to research breaking into it. I also still like floppies.. guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks. :roll: :roll: :roll:

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 am

Is it safe to assume you wrote on these tape from a unix system with tar ?
I remember using GEMAR in the day (on a 150MB Viper Archive SCSI tape drive) but I'm not sure it car read tar archive tape.
And as far as I know there is no tape driver in MiNT.
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:43 am

rpineau wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 am
Is it safe to assume you wrote on these tape from a unix system with tar ?
I remember using GEMAR in the day (on a 150MB Viper Archive SCSI tape drive) but I'm not sure it car read tar archive tape.
And as far as I know there is no tape driver in MiNT.
Ya, most tapes are tar, a few done with dd. Haven't looked at mint yet because I wasn't sure the 68k had the power to run a unix like os without a lot of pain. Now with the falcon I have to give mint a try. I guess it doesn't have tar but as long as there's a c compiler that canbe solved.. :) :) :) Have to figure out how to snag one of the ct60e's. Been watching the atari forum thread but its a little chaotic over there.

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 am

MiNT has tar and dd (and probably gzip but apparently not installed on my aranym setup) .. the issue is more the tape drive kernel driver that is not available. so you won't have a /dev/st0 device to access the tape drive
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 am

I'm assuming the mint source is available... is it a unix derivitive or some facsimile? Anyway could be an interesting project. Although my plate is filling up. Have two tf530's to build, Exxos's ide board, and wouldn't miss H2. :) :) :) And then hoping to score an ct60e.. :thumbup:

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:04 am

PaulJ wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 am
I'm assuming the mint source is available... is it a unix derivitive or some facsimile? Anyway could be an interesting project. Although my plate is filling up. Have two tf530's to build, Exxos's ide board, and wouldn't miss H2. :) :) :) And then hoping to score an ct60e.. :thumbup:
MiNT is open source (and the basis for Atari's MultiTOS). It started as a multi-tasking extension to TOS and became modelled upon UNIX. However, it's not at all a UNIX clone like Linux. The device sub-system is very different to UNIX/Linux and there are no real "device nodes" and no real /dev filesystem. I'm sure that someone could write a loadable device driver which would allow this.

If you would like to see the source search for freemint github.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the insight Stephen, I kinda suspected that from what I have read concerning MINT. Definitely have to load it and check it out. I suspect for me it will be the os of choice for Atari. :) :) :)

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I have a question maybe some of the falcon experts can elaberate on. I just installed mint and it appears to work fine... but video su#ks!! The highest density screen I can call up is 768x480 but its interlaced which gives me a flashing screen when any parallel lines are displayed. Also is there a Nova adapter for the falcon or some solution to get higher density video? Any pointer to a solution would be appreciated... :)

Return to “CHAT FORUM”