Can I plug the 'STE DUAL TOS' upgrade kit into a pair of regular DIP-32 sockets

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
xav2075

Can I plug the 'STE DUAL TOS' upgrade kit into a pair of regular DIP-32 sockets

Post by xav2075 »

My Atari STE 1040 had the rom chips soldered directly onto the mainboard. I have desoldered and removed them so I can solder in DIP-32 sockets to give the option of using a different version of TOS.

I don't feel confident doing a lot of soldering so I was wondering is it possible to first solder two regular DIP-32 sockets onto the mainboard, put the original ROM chips into the sockets. Then maybe later on plug the 'STE DUAL TOS' upgrade kit sold by Exxos into the regular DIP-32 sockets and not the other type of DIP-32 socket that has the circular pin holes that is the ideal\mayble only fitting for the circular pins on the STE Dual TOS upgrade kit.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can I plug the 'STE DUAL TOS' upgrade kit into a pair of regular DIP-32 sockets

Post by exxos »

Most people plug the kit into the sockets.

I do however recommend the board be soldered into place as sockets generally become unreliable.

The round pin sockets are probably better to suit the STE dualtos boards as they are using round header pins.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can I plug the 'STE DUAL TOS' upgrade kit into a pair of regular DIP-32 sockets

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Both of my STEs have the dualTOS upgrade in a socket and are just fine, but exxos is right about sockets, and you are better going for turned pin sockets as they will provide a better overall connection than the cheaper spring pin types, which both of mine happen to be..
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
xav2075

Post by xav2075 »

I am a electronics novice and learn as i do new things (which also means I am missing a lot of concepts but I have fun)

Can I plug the 2 DIP-32 ROM chips into 2 DIP-32 'turned pin' sockets?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yes.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
xav2075

Post by xav2075 »

I have soldered DIP-32 sockets onto the mainboard, put the ROM chips in those and thankfully the STE boots up. Soon I will get a STE Dual TOS kit and plug that into the DIP-32 sockets. I could find a way to solder four of the round pins on the kit to the DIP-32 sockets to make it more secure. Thanks for the help.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Personally I wouldn't solder the four pins to the socket to secure the dual TOS, because you'll find the turned pin sockets provide more than sufficient grip to hold it in place. Also, if you find that you need to remove it for any reason, desoldering those four points will be quite difficult. I have 2 dual TOS STEs in spring pin sockets and have never had an issue because the fdd holds them in place too. If you solder it to the socket, you may as well solder directly to the mainboard. The other mod I do when I'm around that area is to replace the 3 zero ohm resistors at W102, W103 & W104 with header pins and jumpers.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

xav2075 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 pm I have soldered DIP-32 sockets onto the mainboard, put the ROM chips in those and thankfully the STE boots up. Soon I will get a STE Dual TOS kit and plug that into the DIP-32 sockets. I could find a way to solder four of the round pins on the kit to the DIP-32 sockets to make it more secure. Thanks for the help.
I generally don't like socket and rarely use them. Only when I know I'll be changing chips or to plug in an daughter card. If I do use a sockets in a permanient installition I use the round pin sockets and never had a issue with them. I would not solder any od the pins, it would be hell cleaning out the holes so you could change the chip. If your going to do it that way you could just skip the socket and solder the chip in.
xav2075

Post by xav2075 »

Ok I will not solder the round pins into exposed pins on the 2 x DIP-32 socket. If the kit is fairly secure plugged into the 2 x DIP-32 sockets that will do fine.

I was just cleaning the underside of the mainboard where I soldered in the 3 x DIP-32 sockets with 99% isopropyl alcohol. But that left a sticky residue so I got rid of that with tap water and again using a tooth brush.

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”