What is a good price for falcon and what it like to use

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
zack4mac

What is a good price for falcon and what it like to use

Post by zack4mac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:11 am

Hello just noticed a falcon on evil bay.de for €750 unboxed, what are they selling for and is it really that good a machine? Are they solid like the ST or is it more like jenga. I remeber seeing it in my local Dixons not connected all alone and thinking that's the Amiga killer I want for Christmas instead I got a video camera! This was the year Santa died.
Please don't be offended by my question , I'm completely in the dark and would like some pros and cons? Sorry if I posted in wrong location
Best regards
Atari 2600, XEGS, STF/FM/E MSTE/TT CBM 16/64 VC20 PET A500, 600, 1200, BBC B, ZX81, ZX +3 Harlequin ZXuno plus too much junk to fit in one skip! :roll: my username should be Mr Hoarder.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: What is a good price for falcon and what it like to use

Post by PaulJ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:05 am

I find that a pretty tuff question and it some what depends on which side of the pond you live on. Here in the USA they are pretty rare compared to Europe. I just purchased one on evil bay for $1050.00. I've been watch for one for a year and half and seen them go for $1200-$2450. I've bid many times but someone always wanted it more that me. I think the one I got was special because the auction ended at 8:45 am. Apparently all the atari people were at work. In Europe I would expect to get it a some what cheaper but I really haven't followed them. I have a lack of patience when waiting and the shipping across the pond is expensive.

Is it worth it is up to you, a raspberry pi has more power and its 35 bucks.. I've spent my career as a firmware engineer working on Motorola processors and basically love big endian Motorola CISC and RISC processors.

Good luck on your quest if you choose to pursue a falcon. ;) ;) ;)

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:25 am

Price seems to be 800+ for a falcon. If you really want one and have deep pockets, then get one. Though its lack of a fast cpu means you will want to get 060 booster which are not cheap either.

I paid 400 for my second falcon, I think that was to much , but prices have gone up and up and just gone silly.

You will have to do some mods, I sell kits in my store, but look after them and they will serve well.

I like my falcon, but it was a bit of a rush job out of the door as Atari was going bankrupt at the time. So good they got the machine out of the door, but its not even got 32bit ROM which really cripples the desktop speed for starters.

If you imagine a STE with a 16mhz 030 then its not far off falcon speeds. So if you want power, you need a CT60 booster.

Falcon has higher resolutions, but are slow without a booster. It also has a DSP which make a nice sound system, but again its a bit slow. You have built in SCSI and ide, but not really much else.

I don't mean to sound negative about the falcon , imho its not worth the price they are going for.. but with a booster they can be a pretty awesome machine, but your going to want to seriously use it to warrant spending 1,000+ on it.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 am

I agree with the other guys, even after you get the Falcon be prepared to spend even more for upgrades. Also only get it if you are good with a soldering iron, as these old machines need recapping and it will cost a pretty penny to pay someone else to do all the service work.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

zack4mac

Post by zack4mac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:17 pm

I like the look of the machine and maybe if I used to have one or the price was right, but I don't think i'm a Falcon type of guy especially when you mention deep pockets ;-) looking at evil bay prices they have gone silly even effecting imports from china. I think a fair price for me to enjoy the machine would be £600 boxed and maybe £300 loose, but when you have people asking £599 for a spectrum 128 £30 postage :roll: I'm out and I'm saying that without any disrespect for the machine. I can get a speccy case of my chosen colour, harlequin board hand built tested and boxed all new for around £120. I' think the best thing for myself is to wait and hope for the STF board that Exxos is developing.

Thanks to PaulJ, Exxos and Steve for the wisdom :thumbup:
Atari 2600, XEGS, STF/FM/E MSTE/TT CBM 16/64 VC20 PET A500, 600, 1200, BBC B, ZX81, ZX +3 Harlequin ZXuno plus too much junk to fit in one skip! :roll: my username should be Mr Hoarder.

Return to “CHAT FORUM”