Costs of running a forum like Exxos is running here

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
zack4mac

Re: Costs of running a forum like Exxos is running here

Post by zack4mac » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm

My first ISP with a internal isa modem / sound card 14000 or 18000 kbps? I cant remember but I then upgraded to a Diamond 56k external :excited: I remember clock watching because I was only allowed a certain amount of time! online and using their special Turnpike software which was preferable rather than outlook and hoping the latest Netscape browser would work properly! I hated anything Microsoft :twisted: sorry for any Microsoft fan boys! But back then 25 years ago they were really good but not the cheapest! I was surprised by what you said about them, until I read that it was passed from through a energy firm to a certain mobile operator! My mother in law brags about being with AOL and laughs at me for being with talk talk :lol: while I am on the subject does anyone know where I can get a better deal than £22.50 for fibre inc calls to landlines and mobiles?
Atari 2600, XEGS, STF/FM/E MSTE/TT CBM 16/64 VC20 PET A500, 600, 1200, BBC B, ZX81, ZX +3 Harlequin ZXuno plus too much junk to fit in one skip! :roll: my username should be Mr Hoarder.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:03 pm

exxos wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm
zack4mac wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 pm
I would probably try Demon
oh hell no, do not go with them!
I agree! They got bought out and I’ve heard nothing but bad things about them from that point on. They fired all the techies who knew anything too.

If you’re looking for a good ISP (but not necessarily cheap) I would recommend Zen Internet.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm with IDNET these days. More of a business package, a bit limited on bandwidth but good enough for me. Though support is generally good, Fixed IP.

There are cheaper ISP's of course, but its when you have a problem where the "cost saving" starts to catch up with you. IDNET you get to speak to a human who actually knows how to help.. So that's the kind of support I want/need. Get what you pay for I guess...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.