Necessity for 2mb or 4mb STRam?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PhilC

Necessity for 2mb or 4mb STRam?

Post by PhilC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Ok, so I get that more is always better when it comes to Ram.

Imagine this scenario, you have a nove 2mb ST that works well, is pretty much standard etc and you don't want to risk changing anything by adding an extra 2mb in case either you break it or that you cant solder for toffee. (In case you are wondering I'm very capable at soldering and the breaking bit :D )

The next step is that you are going to install extra fast ram and an accelerator. Ie the TF534 or say exxos's 50mhz booster when he finishes it.

So the main question is is there any real reason to upgrade your ST from 2mb to 4mb ST ram if you are also going the fast ram route.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Necessity for 2mb or 4mb STRam?

Post by exxos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm

You have to remember you cannot run everything in "fast ram".. Nobody ever really answered this question in terms of games, but I'm just going to assume that applications are better suited for fast ram, and generally you have 8MB for it.

In terms of games , general usage and compatibility, more ST-RAM will probably be better suited IMO.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PhilC

Re: Necessity for 2mb or 4mb STRam?

Post by PhilC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm

exxos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm
You have to remember you cannot run everything in "fast ram".. Nobody ever really answered this question in terms of games, but I'm just going to assume that applications are better suited for fast ram, and generally you have 8MB for it.

In terms of games , general usage and compatibility, more ST-RAM will probably be better suited IMO.
Ok, thank you. In my case, I probably will upgrade the new Mega ST2 to 4mb, just won't be able to find any nice matching gold plated ram chips :cry: :cry:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.