Starting with assembly language (again)

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PhilC

Starting with assembly language (again)

Post by PhilC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi all,

Just in case I've missed it elsewhere but can someone point me in the direction of a guide to 68000 assembly language programming please.

I used to do it on the Amiga back in the day but those memories have well and truly escaped me.

Initially I don't want to create anything too fancy, some applications and the like and then see where we go from there.

I've got Devpac loaded up in Hatari, so just need to get started with the test. BTW, more of a read a book sort of learner than YouTube if you know what I mean.

Thanks ......
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

JezC

Re: Starting with assembly language (again)

Post by JezC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi,

If you're OK with a non-platform specific guide then I stumbled across this http://www.chibiakumas.com/68000/
Might get you started with the basics before you get into the platform-dependent stuff.

Enjoy!

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Would prefer specifics but will check it out, thanks Jez
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

JezC

Post by JezC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:48 pm

There are a few snippets for the ST-specifics on there (under the atarist.php page on that site).

I won't be able to find it tonight but I do have ("somewhere safe") another guide to assembler on the ST which I vaguely remember as being pretty good.
Though it might have been as long ago as the mid-late 80s when doing my degrees @ UMIST...they had lots of STs + mono monitors set up as workstations (running their own S/W and applications rather than stock TOS etc.) - I remember printing from them to laser printers with our PCB designs & a very good implementation of TeX/LaTeX.