What is the definition of commercial use?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
sety

What is the definition of commercial use?

Post by sety » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am

Hi All,

I want to build a SCSI to SD card adapter for my NeXT Station. It's designed by someone else and free on GitHub. I face the usual problem; I only want one but it's more economical (and mostly not a choice) to get 10 of everything.

The designer's readme.md clearly states that commercial use is strictly prohibited, and I don't want to violate that condition. I'd like to contact the designer but I can't find any contact information.

Am I doing any harm if I pass my surplus on (including fab PCB perhaps as a short form kit) to recover some of my costs?

Kind regards,
Stuart

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is the definition of commercial use?

Post by exxos » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am

Commercial is normally that you can build any many as you want (but may be limits of less than 5 for example) for personal use only. If something is built, such as 10 of them or more, and being sold for a profit, then that would be commercial.

I do see that you are in a bit of a "grey area" with all this, since you can't contact the developer and I assume he hasn't posted clear guidelines on whats permitted and what isn't. I would assume passing on your spare PCBs to others, either for free, or to recover costs would be fine if its only like 10 or less boards. Gettin 50+ pcbs mades and passing them around may be frowned upon for example.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

mikro

Post by mikro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am

I guess you're using the "Download as ZIP" option - if you clone the repository with 'git', then 'git log' will show you the author's name and email address.

sety

Post by sety » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

mikro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am
I guess you're using the "Download as ZIP" option - if you clone the repository with 'git', then 'git log' will show you the author's name and email address.
mikro, I'm sure you hear this often, but you Sir, are the Internet's most valuable resource!

I have the email address from git log as suggested. I'll try contacting them.

Thanks again!

Stuart

Return to “CHAT FORUM”