How do you decide on a classic computers value?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PhilC

How do you decide on a classic computers value?

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am

In recent months I've sold a number if STes from my collection. Anything from £96 to £126 final auction fee on Evilbay.

The thing that I've found at the moment is that old computer prices are slowly rising. Of course you always see the chancers listing an Atari for £284.99 buy it now etc etc but how on earth are they determining these values?

Is it a case of supply and demand or what? I mean, I would love to get myself a TT but they are out of my price range, hence building my Mega 030 etc. Even Megas are starting to get silly.

I even saw a complete Next setup on Evilbay earlier on, where the seller wanted nearly £28K for itm
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Icky

Re: How do you decide on a classic computers value?

Post by Icky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 am

PhilC wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am
In recent months I've sold a number if STes from my collection. Anything from £96 to £126 final auction fee on Evilbay.

The thing that I've found at the moment is that old computer prices are slowly rising. Of course you always see the chancers listing an Atari for £284.99 buy it now etc etc but how on earth are they determining these values?

Is it a case of supply and demand or what? I mean, I would love to get myself a TT but they are out of my price range, hence building my Mega 030 etc. Even Megas are starting to get silly.

I even saw a complete Next setup on Evilbay earlier on, where the seller wanted nearly £28K for itm
It's crazy the value put on some of these. Gone are the days of picking up these at a local car boot sale. I think I picked up a A1200 at a car boot sale many many moons ago fro around £20.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:25 am

I don't really bother with Car boots any more as even there people want silly money.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am

I think part of the problem is people selling look at what prices others are selling at.. If 1 person had a STE for £200, the second person would list at £190 or something.. and if people really wanted a STE badly, they would pay it. That is what happened years ago.. then when everyone saw the crazy high prices, evilbay became floods with machines and prices dropped to basically nothing. With so many people quitting ebay in recent years, the sellers are not there anymore. So less machines means the prices start going up again. Price is simply what others are generally paying at the time.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:35 am

PhilC wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:25 am
I don't really bother with Car boots any more as even there people want silly money.
Yeah they always say "well on eBay" so what you doing standing in a muddy field eating a stale undercooked hamburger for then? :lol:

When I used to fix old games consoles and sell them on eBay I used to work out the value by averaging up the recent finished auctions then adding +£10, or trying to make some kind of special bundle to get the most value back. I try to avoid eBay its not worth it, if you can't afford to lose it don't list it best advice I can give anyone :D

Another trick I used to do it avoid eBay fees a, little naughty, you can't do it now because all the user names have * in them, was find a auction that ended then look up the bidders who did not win, then message the top 3 highest bidders under the winner, then saying I had the same thing for the same price, and 95% of the time 2 of that 3 would message back and they would be buy it :D

I do remember selling a Sega Dreamcast to Sega once that was a weird turn of events :lol:

I've been thinking about putting my Sega Mega CD on eBay as for some reason there's been a bit of a surge in interest in the things and to be fair i've not opened the box in over 15 years, but as all things eBay im torn :lol:

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:52 am

If you don't use it then sell it I guess? I tend to stick to the list it for a quid days on Ebay.

And if I hear anyone else say well it goes for blah blah blah on Ebay I swear............

DrF

Post by DrF » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 pm

PhilC wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:52 am
And if I hear anyone else say well it goes for blah blah blah on Ebay I swear............
Not just me then, so again eBays to blame for screwing everything up, nothing new there then :D
I just walk off when they say it, can't argue with them.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Yeo, whilst laughing sarcastically and onto the next table to repeat it all again.

DrF

Post by DrF » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm

PhilC wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:52 am
If you don't use it then sell it I guess? I tend to stick to the list it for a quid days on Ebay.
There basically every weekend now, theres 1 this weekend, they get listed on that HotUKDeals and everyone goes wild for them. I love those threads there a great source of info for probably the best anti-ebay site in the world www.whyebaysucks.info as voted for by Exxos :lol:

If eBay used its head it would realise that maybe if that's what everyone wants every weekend make it the norm? but thats too sensible for them :lol:

Did anyone else notice that private sellers now get 1000 auctions a month free.. and eBay touted it as this big thing, like there doing you a huge favour by giving you 1000 free auctions a month... instead of... the 100 a day you used to get... do the maths :lol:

Return to “CHAT FORUM”