Single core maxed out, any solutions win7 ?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Single core maxed out, any solutions win7 ?

Post by PaulJ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 pm

Still using the older Eagle app. Possibly a current Eagle would do better at multithreading but then you'll need to re-learn where they put stuff and the renamed functionality. :chairsmack: :chairsmack: :chairsmack:

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 pm

We're using systems with dual socket and between 8 cores to 24 cores per socket (and between 768GB to 3TB of RAM per system (2 or 4 sockets)).
So you do need proper threading in your apps, good numa balancing for the NICs (usually dual 10G or dual 25G cards) and other IO path (RAID cards, Fiber Channel HBA, ..), proper IRQ balancing per numa nodes, make sure your app doing network IO is on the same numa node as the NIC PCIe lanes, .. and that the OS doesn't mess all of this up.
Also .. Eagle .. I never use the top router as it's total shit to be honest. Usually one of the other routing is better and/or route to 100%.
I do more and more manual routing and then let it finish with the complicated stuff (when I can't find a path for a signal).
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 pm
Still using the older Eagle app. Possibly a current Eagle would do better at multithreading but then you'll need to re-learn where they put stuff and the renamed functionality. :chairsmack: :chairsmack: :chairsmack:
<rant on>
And pay a lot more for a lot less to move to the new version, thanks but no thanks. I bought the hobbyist license and would not be able to get the same feature with a reasonable subscription on the new version (100x160 mm, 6 layers, 99 sheets in the schematic editor). So yep, we're staying on the "old" version, the one we own and can do what we want with.... not the subscription base stuff where you don't actually own it and will lose everything if you don't renew your subscription.
<rant off>

Sorry , .. I'll walk myself out.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. And for your money they move and rename most things. I would hope they improved resource utilization but one never knows.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 pm

rpineau wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Sorry , .. I'll walk myself out.
Ya I like that... have to use it if I get the opportunity.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:53 pm

Eagle doesn't support then hobby people, and subscription based .. Don't get me started..

I'm using much older versions of eagle . I have tried version 9 and it keeps crashing. But then routing does seem faster.. But I can't afford it and even if I did, its unstable. But also as Paul said, they just made the UI alien :roll:

Auto desk had a lot of angry users when they changed the icon set for ones which were blury and hard to see, and they moved some about. So everyone like me who had been using it for years could no longer use it without trying to translate the new icons or go looking for where the icons now are. Did autodesk take notice, nope, they just kept on messing with the UI . Now it looks like some bad version of something which belongs in a windows 3.11 world.

I mean granted they seem to be adding nice features to save time which is great.. If they worked,, but time saved there just goes on having to go look for icons all the time. It just annoys me when they go from a good UI to washed out grey icons, which seems to be tending more these days in software :roll:

If they had some sensible licensing options I would be happy to try the new versions, but they not listening to their customers.. I would imagine the hobby base is a pretty big market share, but they haven't been bothered these past years .

Also eagle is supposed to support 4x4 meter boards.... The remake board is hard work and eagle runs like a dog. It would probably take 20 seconds to zoom in and out. They obviously never tested it on boards larger than A3 . The eagle engine is just a toy. Great for lightweight stuff but anything more and its just terrible. Eagle should be aimed and marketed as a hobby tool because for pro usage its just to slow and buggy. I mean 12 hours to do one variant route on the remake...its not exactly a complicated design even.

OK rant over :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rpineau
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rpineau » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:04 am

If the Eagle rant is over .. can we ran about Kicad now ? :D

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:17 am

rpineau wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:04 am
If the Eagle rant is over .. can we ran about Kicad now ? :D
Sure :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Maximilian

Post by Maximilian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:45 pm

It is quite normal for a single thread application to run slower when the cpu affinity is set to two cpu's, just don't do it.

The only way to speed it up is to use the turbo feature of the newer cpu's, because the other cores are not producing as much heat as the core that is running the slow application the single core can run hotter/faster than the rest.

Or ofcourse use an application that is suited for your CPU.