Atari Prices On Ebay?!

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
AtariFox

Atari Prices On Ebay?!

Post by AtariFox » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I've been having a look at stuff on ebay, particularly atari related items. I still cannot believe that external floppies are going for upwards of £100.

I think it's absolutely bonkers people are able to manipulate things like that. I know there are scalpers who love to buy up as much stock as they can and inflate the price up, Especially on ST-E model ataris.

Even a busted one goes for £120

I have seen one seller jay's retro computers, selling a lot of the stuff exxos here sells for double to triple the price.
I know there's not much that can be done due to the rarity of ATARI items.

However, there's one there right now asking £1300 for 300 games. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-Job-Lot ... Sw61JdUBt- and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/316-X-Origin ... Swck1dPLVx

aswell as an ATari TT :shock: 030 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Working-Atar ... SwzCNcsGBm

Honestly, i don't know what to think.. and i thought commodore 64 stuff was expensive. (since i recently had my families 64C repair for £100 including recapped PSU)

i was curious as to what you all think about it?

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atari Prices On Ebay?!

Post by exxos » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Yeah prices have been going up for years :( I think this was talked about around a year ago as well.

Years ago eBay was more popular and it was flooded with machines. I was buying them up for less than £10 including postage, as time went on and the sellers quit bothering, prices started to inflate. Its hard to get machines for less than about 60 now. Some ramp as high as 200 :shock:

Not only that, floppy drive and PSUs need servicing as they are failing . plus then you generally need to update TOS etc it just becomes really expensive really fast. Its one reason why I think the remake may fair well in times to come as it will be a new machine out of the box.

I think the problem with eBay buyers, they haven't got out of their head yet that eBay isn't the place for deals anymore. They just don't seem to even think to look anywhere else for deals . more fool them really.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

AtariFox

Post by AtariFox » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am

exxos wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 pm
Yeah prices have been going up for years :( I think this was talked about around a year ago as well.

Years ago eBay was more popular and it was flooded with machines. I was buying them up for less than £10 including postage, as time went on and the sellers quit bothering, prices started to inflate. Its hard to get machines for less than about 60 now. Some ramp as high as 200 :shock:

Not only that, floppy drive and PSUs need servicing as they are failing . plus then you generally need to update TOS etc it just becomes really expensive really fast. Its one reason why I think the remake may fair well in times to come as it will be a new machine out of the box.

I think the problem with eBay buyers, they haven't got out of their head yet that eBay isn't the place for deals anymore. They just don't seem to even think to look anywhere else for deals . more fool them really.
Completely true. I wish i had' jumped on the train a few years ago for the cheap hardware.

I managed to find my stfm for £50 on gumtree, which was a very one in a million lucky find.

Where do you recommend checking out for machines and such?

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

AtariFox wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am
I don't know of anywhere other than evilbay :( Same issue with the sellers, just go with evilbay as its the main selling site :roll:

People on here will often mention items before putting them on evilbay. Though that's about it really.

I used to look on facebook groups and such, but mostly collection only (no where near me) or the prices were jacked higher than evilbay, so I just gave up looking.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 am

What are you looking for at the moment? I have at least one STe and a few STFMs
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:48 pm

I know Ebay is pretty horrid nowadays, but you can pick up a good deal every now and then.

About this time last year, I managed to scoop a TT, MSTE, STE and a MegaFile 30 together for £240. All in fully working condition.

Around April this year, I bought a Mega ST keyboard (which included an external ST floppy drive and VCS+joystick) for £5 and an Amiga CD32 controller (which included an A500) for £26. It was a collection only auction. When I went round to collect, the guy offered me another 5 big boxes of computer stuff which included about 20 Sega Saturn games,PSX/SNES/GC games loads of C64 games and CD32 games, pretty much all boxed. I paid about £20 for the extras. I barely had room in my car for it all.

Just goes to show, you CAN get lucky sometimes.

The thing is, no one really knows of anywhere else with the same concentration of potential buyers as Ebay. I dont think there is a real alternative ATM even though it has the sellers over a barrel.

As for prices... I mentioned to Chris in a previous thread of a guy who was literally hoarding Falcons (had at least 5 that I can remember). I ended up buying one off him but it wasnt a great price at all. I do get lucky with other bits elsewhere (as seen above) so cant complain!

I also have some Atari stuff which Im thinning out, so may have what you need. Let me know.

AtariFox

Post by AtariFox » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 pm

exxos wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am
AtariFox wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am
I don't know of anywhere other than evilbay :( Same issue with the sellers, just go with evilbay as its the main selling site :roll:

People on here will often mention items before putting them on evilbay. Though that's about it really.

I used to look on facebook groups and such, but mostly collection only (no where near me) or the prices were jacked higher than evilbay, so I just gave up looking.
Yeah i can understand that, you bought em all at the right time a few years ago. I shoulda too, hah.

I will keep an eye out on the for sale sub forum.

I can travel via my car, but i'm limited to about 30 miles or so either way. lol

PhilC wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 am
What are you looking for at the moment? I have at least one STe and a few STFMs
Well. I have an STFM, i just bought a few weeks ago for £50 inc monitor and 3rdparty mouse . It is my first atari computer. I have never used one before and i've only used a Commodore 64C prior.
USed to have a 486 and such.

I'm mostly looking for an external storage device. like a megafile or third party equivalents.
Though i feel like i have been a little gimped by buying an STFM instead of a ST-E :z

But i have just bought a TOS upgrader from exxos and today a UBE video adapter.

mrbombermillzy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:48 pm
I know Ebay is pretty horrid nowadays, but you can pick up a good deal every now and then.

About this time last year, I managed to scoop a TT, MSTE, STE and a MegaFile 30 together for £240. All in fully working condition.

Around April this year, I bought a Mega ST keyboard (which included an external ST floppy drive and VCS+joystick) for £5 and an Amiga CD32 controller (which included an A500) for £26. It was a collection only auction. When I went round to collect, the guy offered me another 5 big boxes of computer stuff which included about 20 Sega Saturn games,PSX/SNES/GC games loads of C64 games and CD32 games, pretty much all boxed. I paid about £20 for the extras. I barely had room in my car for it all.

Just goes to show, you CAN get lucky sometimes.

The thing is, no one really knows of anywhere else with the same concentration of potential buyers as Ebay. I dont think there is a real alternative ATM even though it has the sellers over a barrel.

As for prices... I mentioned to Chris in a previous thread of a guy who was literally hoarding Falcons (had at least 5 that I can remember). I ended up buying one off him but it wasnt a great price at all. I do get lucky with other bits elsewhere (as seen above) so cant complain!

I also have some Atari stuff which Im thinning out, so may have what you need. Let me know.
Some people are fairly lucky like yourself lol! I wish i was able to snag deals like that. :>

I mostly am looking for any sort of atari accessory, probably a proper atari mouse, but generally looking for a an external storage device, like a megafile or other third party storage. I don't really want to go the route of a gotek.

Though generally, i'll probably get anything if it's cheap enough. I really dislike it when people hoard things like that, such rare computers and then inflate up the prices to crazy amounts and shut out regular average customers and only aim for mega enthusiasts.

If you're cleaning out, would you DM me a list of what things you have off hand?

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:12 pm

AtariFox wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I have seen one seller jay's retro computers, selling a lot of the stuff exxos here sells for double to triple the price.
I know there's not much that can be done due to the rarity of ATARI items.
Indeed, the prices range from sometimes acceptable, to insanely ridiculous. It makes me quite angry at times how much people are asking for some items.

What I would say in defence of Jays Retro is that the exxos devices he sells, AFAIK, are built and tested, so it save you a whole bunch of time and effort.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

About 15yrs ago I sold my 1040STE on eBay with 14Mhz CPU Marpet thing and 4Mb ram, loads of games, and it was a struggle to get £60 for it!
Imagine its value now :lol:
I had to throw away a Amstrad CPC6128 because I could not shift it, no matter what, could not even give it away :(

Im very tempted to sell off my old computers now I have not turned them on in almost 10+yrs some of them, I don't have time no more being a slave to the taxman don't help :(

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 pm

@Atarifox: Im in the middle of a mass clearout. Have put much of it on the evil-auction.com already.

As I can see you know already, I did try putting some stuff mainly vintage PC stuff for sale here, but there was not a peep. Unfortunately then, that means I have to use our least favourite auction house to actually sell stuff! :/

However, you asked, so here goes:

Ive got about 3 or more Atari mice (in various states of repair) and a fully working Megafile 30, which I wasnt intending to sell, but may do if the price is right.

Theres also a Mega ST PC Emulator card, Megabus Graphics card, some SCSI cables/drives, a MSTE/TT keyboard, ET4000 ISA card, ISA to Megabus PCB kit... Thats off the top of my head.

Im not sure if I still have that MFM drive. I will have to look. I also have Commodore and PC stuff if you are interested.

The last guy I dealt with regarding selling, I just took photographs of the stuff I had and let him pick from there. Maybe I can do that for you?

Return to “CHAT FORUM”