Stack overflow huh?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stack overflow huh?

Post by exxos » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 am

On the homepage it says
We <3 people who code
So "we less than 3 people who code". Probably right going by the bad reviews of the site :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Re: Stack overflow huh?

Post by DrF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am

Everything I ever found on there had no answer or proper abusive read the manual type comments :lol:

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:52 am

I've been using SO for over ten years in my job (C#/C++/Java/Python) . It does depend a lot on the area but I've found I can parse a page in under ten seconds and evaluate if there is a helpful answer there or move on to the next search result.

Like any tool/resource you learn how to use it effectively.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

JezC

Post by JezC » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:06 am

Like TF, I often find it useful for work-related stuff (but it's far from perfect). Often easier to search than to try & find the information in the actual documentation.

Would love there to be a more "professional" version of that with the non-helpful comments masked out but I guess no-one would bother to add the info. :roll:

arkadiusz.makarenko

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:09 am

Stack overflow saved my bum few times.
Eg.
1. NHibernate - because reading documentation would take me months.
2. Bootstrap - when you try to get something done quickly, but it is not covered by documentation.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am

2 of my comments have been removed after a few hours. So they do seem to do clear ups. Though the thread is now broken with missing messages. with that going on, its pretty pointless to try and discuss a issue to find a resolution. I also don't get why the message order seems to be random as well, everything just ends up mixed up :roll:

I have landed on the site a few times looking for solutions. One the other day was basically people arguing. One person asking a question, then one saying its not possible, then another saying it is possible, then another saying its not possible, then several other replies where nobody has even read the previous posts and started going on about something else.

Plus everyone on there seems to have some fetish for Jquery. For me I don't want to install any framework just to do 1 simple thing. Its one reason I am moving away from Stripe. The only times I tried Jquery and I ended up with odd issues and just gave up with it in the end. I just don't want to spend days/weeks trying to debug someone else's code.

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be hardly any technical help on stuff these days. Most of my results just end up with a few people with the same issue which never gets resolved, even dating back years. I mean back in the VB6 days, the internet used to be flooded with posts.

Same with Sage, doesn't seem to be many posts about it at all anywhere. Considering the millions of people who are supposed to be using Sage, either they all expert coders who never need help, or they just don't talk about stuff on forums anymore. I have had way more help from people on here about various programming issues etc than anywhere else on the web.

I think the only sites which really seem useful to me are the actual php.net manual pages, as people list examples of things. Also w3schools I land on a lot as can never remember syntax of stuff.

EDIT:
IIRC there was experts-exchange I used in several years ago and got good help the few times I used it. But I think its a pay for site.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am

DrF wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am
Everything I ever found on there had no answer or proper abusive read the manual type comments :lol:
Yeah :roll: I only go to forums for last resort. Mostly just ends up looking around the internet for endless hours getting nowhere.

Its like someone giving you blueprints for a jet-engine and not being able to ask questions or get any help on how to build it. Then after days of confusion, you realise you need big chunks of the plane to even use the engine. Eventually you get it half working with bodged up parts, and it keeps blowing up and nobody to ask why, other than the guy who designed the engine, which will never offer help.

In end end you just think, rather than trying to get all this "pre-made stuff" working, just design your own engine. Sure it may not be as good, but if it works, and you know exactly how it works, then things can be modified or fixed much easier than trying to follow someone else's plans. That's pretty much how it always seems to be. So rather than spending hours with someone else's plans, might as well spend all that time designing my own instead. Sure there will be debugging issues, but at least I stand a chance of solving my own build.

In terms of Stripe, huge framework, no idea why. They use some fancy installer which makes no sense. I think in the end I found the source files and just dumped them over the top of my old framework to upgrade it. Setting it up was a nightmare first time around, and so much to setup and configure in their new framework.. no thanks.

Sage isn't much better, BUT, they just have one JS plugin file to use the credit card box stuff. There's no JS to code at all. Stripe is just a mess of php and JS going back and forth which is just to messy and confusing. With Sage, one JS file, rest of the code is php which I can just program myself. No frameworks needed to maintain or figure out. Its just a shame Sage's "3 easy steps" isn't actually a working example. more like 80% of the needed code is actually missing :roll:

Those "read the manual" comments annoy me. Like I read it 100 times and still can't figure it out. But again, like I said with Sage, they seem to explain each step in some detail, but don't seem to tell you how to join all the steps together. It be like me telling you how to make a cup of tea, but giving you, cup, milk, sugar, tea, spoon, explaining in detail what each item is, then jump to "this is how it looks when its done" and no explanation in between. Then comes the internet arguments of if milk goes in first or last, years of arguing and nobody still knows :lol:

So to round up, I hate the world and everything in it :lol:

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 am

Really quick example of me using SO this morning..

Task: "squash all git commits on a branch"....

Couldnt remember the exact syntax...

Google.. "git squash commits in branch"

Result...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/253 ... -on-branch

Answer i was looking for

git reset $(git merge-base master $(git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD))

time taken to get answer... 20 seconds...

SO is an extension of my memory. I just remember the search terms now to get the answer i need. I dont look at comments and i bypass anything unhelpful.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

arkadiusz.makarenko

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:21 am

Problem with in between stuff is quite often that there is no one good path to make perfect "tea". This might open another can of worms like is it design pattern or anti-pattern.

About jQuery I like jQuery selectors, and event listeners. And few bits from JQuery UI (datepickers etc). In general one liners. For basic UIs it speeds up Dev time.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

derkom

Post by derkom » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:23 am

exxos wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am
Its just a shame Sage's "3 easy steps" isn't actually a working example. more like 80% of the needed code is actually missing :roll:
To be fair, they said "3 easy steps", but not out of how many. :mrgreen:

Return to “CHAT FORUM”