Spare STe board.

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
arkadiusz.makarenko
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Spare STe board.

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi
I have spare booting STe board and PSU, without keyboard or case.
Simm sockets are tiny bit tired and cracked, but RAM seems to be sitting nicesly and doing it job.
Chances of finding case are slim, and even if there was one getting it in once piece is almost impossible.

How would you utilize this board? Replacement case and keyboard/mouse ports?

Arek
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

tzok

Re: Spare STe board.

Post by tzok » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pm

STe board will fit STfm case it is also possible to put it into a tower type PC case. It is not a big deal to make an adapter to connect standard PC keyboard and mouse, or you may get CosmosEx, which does this and much more. Other option is to sell it ;)

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

As has been said, it'll fit a standard STFM case with minor mods (see here:https://electronicnothingness.co.uk/ind ... retro-fun/), and in all honesty, though it is possible to ID the mould marks on the case where the STE enhanced joystick ports are, and you could dremel a hole of the right shape, I don't believe there is a great deal of software and/or peripherals that will use them, so you could just leave them covered up.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

arkadiusz.makarenko
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

tzok wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pm
STe board will fit STfm case it is also possible to put it into a tower type PC case. It is not a big deal to make an adapter to connect standard PC keyboard and mouse, or you may get CosmosEx, which does this and much more. Other option is to sell it ;)

Do you have any details on keyboard adapter?

Yes. I am not yet ready to sell it, but it did cross my mind.
~ Stanislaw Lem

tzok

Post by tzok » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Atari keyboard in fact is a stand alone microcomputer which communicates with Atari over the serial link. The communication protocol is documented, as well as the source code (ASM) for the keyboard microcontroller are available. My IKBD RTC module intercepts the communication between ST and IKBD, and I've manage to do it using just an Arduino board. I've also seen a project to bridge a IKBD to the PC over the USB HID, also using Arduino: https://github.com/devonshire/arduino-a ... d-keyboard

For the Atari aftermarket accessories, there is a CosmosEx (multipurpose device), or the Eiffel (solely for connecting PS/2 keyboard and mouse to the Atari ST). I've also found a DIY project similar to Eiffel done on Arduino: https://oldcomputer.info/hacks/mega_key/index.htm - it is for MEGA ST, but despite different keyboard connector it will fit any ST.

arkadiusz.makarenko
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Managed to get STFM case in very good shape.
I have bottom (a little bit cracked but complete bottom). I think I have all bits and bobs to actually rebuild STe. :)
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “CHAT FORUM”