Idea for a "for sale store"

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Bikerbob

Re: Idea for a "for sale store"

Post by Bikerbob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea.. anything that helps to get more legit buyers is helpful.

James

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 am

My thoughts are (kinda again) to only allow forum people to list items for sale. Also maybe only allow items to be listed after they have posted at least once on the forum. I think that will solve spammers using the system.

As Ingo mentions, will have to be a disclaimer that its nothing to do with me about the listenings etc. Ebid operate the same way in fact.

Likely I will do a box in the top of my store which will list 3 or 4 items "at a glance" as a kinda of advert banner for the for-sale page. I can put random items there to make it more interesting for people to click it.

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a method of linking the online list on here to identify who the uploaders are for the for-sale page. Then people can upload or delete items at their leisure.

The upload tool is all I have to really do, I did have a page to do that which I coded years ago somewhere. Likely a title,info, image, contact boxes kinda thing.

As for "sections" I think that would be dynamically generated rather than fixed sections, else I will be forever updating it. Then sections such as Atari,Amiga,PC, C64 etc etc just get entered by the uploaded and that section will either be generated or added to other items in the same section. Well I know what I mean in my head anyway :lol:

I think it will be a useful page even if its just for my odd items for sale. At least there will be a good page with stuff for sale and others can use it as well. Theres always people wanting to buy and sell stuff, so a more organised list sounds like it can only be a good thing to help everyone out. I think way more people will see such adverts from my store page than the for-sale sections on here.

The Amiga guys can of course list their TF spares, pcbs, full items etc on the list as well. Anything I can do to get people off evilbay has my vote :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

derkom

Post by derkom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 am

exxos wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 am
My thoughts are (kinda again) to only allow forum people to list items for sale.
I think doing anything else would be crazy. You are not trying to be a general purpose marketplace. Asking people to be a forum member to trade in the forum marketplace makes total sense to me.
Also maybe only allow items to be listed after they have posted at least once on the forum.
How about simply automatically linking every marketplace item with a thread in the forum? When someone posts an item for sale on the marketplace, it opens up a thread in the forum, posted by that person (here's where requiring forum IDs pays off), allowing discussion, questions, etc., in the forum, and then when the item sells, the thread closes.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 am

derkom wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 am
I think doing anything else would be crazy. You are not trying to be a general purpose marketplace. Asking people to be a forum member to trade in the forum marketplace makes total sense to me.
Yeah exactly. I guess it could be seen as a "perk" for forum members to be able to use the marketplace. We don't care about anyone else :lol: :twisted:
derkom wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 am
How about simply automatically linking every marketplace item with a thread in the forum? When someone posts an item for sale on the marketplace, it opens up a thread in the forum, posted by that person (here's where requiring forum IDs pays off), allowing discussion, questions, etc., in the forum, and then when the item sells, the thread closes.
Its a good idea. Though the php scripts would basically have to log into the forum on some account in order to have permission to post. I can't post on the members accounts as I don't know peoples passwords (nor do I want to) Then there is a lot of form manipulation to actually do the post as well .. I don't see it being a simple task unless someone wants to develop the php scripts for me.

Though one slight issue is that people may list several items at once, if a couple people do that, the forum will get full of for sale posts very quickly. It may work if I did a multiple upload tool to post all items in a single post for that person, but I feel its going to start creating a lot of work. I think the people wanting to sell the stuff should just post in the marketplace and forum, its only going to take them a few seconds to copy the info over anyway.

I just want to keep things simple for now. I mean sure, if the thing becomes popular then I can look into more features another time :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

I think it is easier to do it the other way around. Link a marketplace item to an already existing forum post. Very simple if you do it with just allowing to copy and paste a link to the thread, a little more advanced if you show a listing of say the last 10 threads the user has created and let him choose one. Or something in between, like having the item number in a standardized form in the thread title (like [ITEM#XXXX] i.e.) and the marketplace page automatically searching and opening a matching thread.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Its a thought yes. Problem is for people like me, we don't tend to bother to post on the forum much in the first place. Mostly because the forum doesn't get many views in the sales threads which ended up with this idea in the first place of putting it in my store.

On the reverse to this.. People posting on the marketplace ( again using me as a example) would probably not post every item on the forum either. There is of course the option for people to post on the forum as well and its probably a good idea.

Of course there can be links in the marketplace to a corresponding forum thread anyway. If there is no forum thread, it can just be left blank.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Turns out I can access the logged in users properly via the forum sessions :thumbup: This means that ultimately only people with forum accounts can upload to the marketplace.

I have created the new database and new stock list script today...

So the very first output test looks like this....

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (205.7 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Of course I need to create a upload tool yet.. a edit tool.. a delete tool... :roll: :lol: But considering I have only spent a couple hours on this, I think I got pretty far already.

Of course the short name for this page is "E-Bay" :lol: :lol:

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Looks pretty good.

What's next? PayPaul or some other play on words 8-)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm

PhilC wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 pm
What's next? PayPaul or some other play on words 8-)
I did wonder about some sort of payment processor system, considering the chaos on the net with it all, and crappy checkouts etc. Though while it could be done, the main problem is if loads of people did chargebacks or opened disputes, it could result in that account being suspended, then everything using that system would go offline :( Theres maybe a whole bunch of legal BS somewhere with it all as well no doubt.

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:42 pm

First thing Chris, for gods sake change that name before that evil site shuts you down for copyright infringement! ;)

Secondly, maybe we could also have a 'swap shop' included too so users can either swap bits with eachother (which kind of removes one part of the process for like minded people wanting particular parts) or for services. E.g. I would happily give some Atari items for the repair of my F030.

Not sure hows best to handle the buy/sell dispute problems, however, as various people have said, if we have the community here, there is scope for accruing trust.

Sounds great to me, as Im in the course of drastically slimming down the pretty vast man-cave! :lol:

Return to “CHAT FORUM”