The "Things I never do again" - Thread :)

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
IngoQ

The "Things I never do again" - Thread :)

Post by IngoQ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:15 am

I never do again ...

...recap a Amiga 500 Board :)

Boy this sucks, really EVERY cap is sitting on a insanely huge mass rail, and for the life of it you do not get the last bit of solder out of this damn hole ;) 17 of those later, and I'm finally done... but not gonna do this again soon :)
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

DrF

Re: The "Things I never do again" - Thread :)

Post by DrF » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Not as cool as that , but I do remember cooking bacon naked that was not a good idea.

Also cleaning a electric hob/stove with carburetor cleaner then firing the ignition, forgetting its left a film of super fire fuel all over it :p

Trying to defrost pizza in a toaster...

Trying to defrost a strawberry frozen mouse on a Citroen diesel engine... it tasted how can I put this diesely :p

Accidently jet washing a kitchen without knowing...

I'm sure there's more if I can remember them

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:23 pm

DrF wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 pm
Not as cool as that , but I do remember cooking bacon naked that was not a good idea.

Also cleaning a electric hob/stove with carburetor cleaner then firing the ignition, forgetting its left a film of super fire fuel all over it :p

Trying to defrost pizza in a toaster...

Trying to defrost a strawberry frozen mouse on a Citroen diesel engine... it tasted how can I put this diesely :p

Accidently jet washing a kitchen without knowing...

I'm sure there's more if I can remember them
:WTF: :stars: :lolbig: :lolbig: :goodpost:

BTW what i'll never do again? Miss an opportunity of buying an Atari Falcon to instead buy a case to build a computer for my older sister, and bring it back home in the worst storm france has ever gone through (it was in december 1999, the wind speed was 158km/h in la Rochelle, my town).... I never owned a car.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Oh, I have a couple of those, too ;)

Never try to figure out, whether a cpu fan is running, by sticking your finger in it.

Never be too lazy to run two stores up and switch of the fuse in an old house. I though, i just shorten phase and earth and the failure interrupt should switch immediately. I have a patch of molten steel in my parents house to remind me forever of that...

Never ever again forget to unplug a device, when temporily storing it away, because the cleaning lady comes... I was repairing a fax machine and I needed it to be "hot" for this. When I reached into the box to pull the opened machine out of it, you can imagine, what happened.

Never forget to wear cut-proof gloves when installing devices in networking racks. I was wondering why the door is so sticky, until I realized that this was my blood... :(

And some cooking related:

Never rub your eyes, when you cut chilli, without thoroughly washing your hands. Never go pee for the same reasons ;)

Never try to find out whether a kitchen knife is sharp by running your finger over it.

Hot glass looks the same as cold glass.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm
Oh, I have a couple of those, too ;)

Never try to figure out, whether a cpu fan is running, by sticking your finger in it.

Never be too lazy to run two stores up and switch of the fuse in an old house. I though, i just shorten phase and earth and the failure interrupt should switch immediately. I have a patch of molten steel in my parents house to remind me forever of that...

Never ever again forget to unplug a device, when temporily storing it away, because the cleaning lady comes... I was repairing a fax machine and I needed it to be "hot" for this. When I reached into the box to pull the opened machine out of it, you can imagine, what happened.

Never forget to wear cut-proof gloves when installing devices in networking racks. I was wondering why the door is so sticky, until I realized that this was my blood... :(

And some cooking related:

Never rub your eyes, when you cut chilli, without thoroughly washing your hands. Never go pee for the same reasons ;)

Never try to find out whether a kitchen knife is sharp by running your finger over it.

Hot glass looks the same as cold glass.
I'm surprised you still have hands.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Maeke wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm
I learned from these ;)

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:41 pm
Maeke wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm
I learned from these ;)
When i think about it, in my electronics classes, i was amongst the top, yet never (and i said NEVER) burnt myself with my soldering iron.
I'm the only one who went through two years without burn marks. And the teachers were trusting me enough to ask me to repair lab stuff.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 pm

On the subject of soldering irons, never walk further than the reach of the power cord, the iron will pull through your fingers and burn ALL of them!

Also, as a small child I discovered that a thin metal bar would slide between a socket, and the plug that was in it. I subsequently discovered flight across our kitchen powered by 240v AC.

I can't recommend either.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST + Gotek, 1040STF, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx
Plus the rest..
C64 + 1541 and cassette, 2x Sinclair QL, Mac Classic, Mac Performa 6200, Amiga 1200, ICL One Per Desk, Epson HX20, Dreamcast, original Xbox, SNES and a bunch of other bits n bobs I can't remember right now. :D
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:03 pm

You were lucky to not be more severely hurt by this shock ing discover!

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:46 am

Maeke wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:03 pm
You were lucky to not be more severely hurt by this shock ing discover!
For sure. I guarantee I never did it again and had a healthy respect for mains electricity afterwards!

Also the last time I flew using electricity :)
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST + Gotek, 1040STF, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx
Plus the rest..
C64 + 1541 and cassette, 2x Sinclair QL, Mac Classic, Mac Performa 6200, Amiga 1200, ICL One Per Desk, Epson HX20, Dreamcast, original Xbox, SNES and a bunch of other bits n bobs I can't remember right now. :D
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk