Donations and contributions, ideas and thoughts

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin

Donations and contributions, ideas and thoughts

Post by exxos » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am

This kind of backs onto what was being said previously about raising money for various projects relating to my web store the other day..viewtopic.php?f=14&t=144&p=682#p674

And basically do not want to take people's money just on the off chance something will or will not get completed. This basically is what I was calling "pre-orders". Where I would raise money for a kit to be produced. Then once the fund has reached a sensible amount the kit would get produce. Unfortunately I rarely get more than five orders when a new kit is produced, and basically those five people and the waiting six months the something which will probably not get completed.

So what I have been doing in the past at least, is taking some pre-orders and then funding the production of that kit myself. While the system does generally work, as I said before, ultimately creates a lot of unnecessary work. For example in the past I would get an email every couple of weeks or every month asking the status of the project, and I just end up repeat myself basically saying no it is not ready yet, not going to get done yet etc it just becomes annoying to myself and I am sure the customers would also get annoyed as they are just stalking the endless waiting game.

When my new web store went online decided to no longer take the pre-orders. Basely causing too much trouble and stress for everyone. But one thing to bear in mind is, the items in my web store every kit that sells raises funds for me to be able to continue work on other upgrades and kits. It is very difficult to balance these costs, and I often spend a lot more than I am making from web store sales. But overall this system generally works.

There are course some people who wish to contribute something but do not actually want anything from my store. I do actually have a donations page which has been up for a long time, but to my recollection only one person never made a donation. Even so I am not really comfortable with taking people's money without them actually getting something physical. This is why I would prefer people support my efforts by making a purchase from my store.

Of course, donations is not just about money it is also about helping out in general. For example people donate their time to help me with this forum which I greatly appreciate as it helps myself and it also helps others also. Donations is not just about money and physical goods.

Though I have been wondering recently about doing something like selling mugs for example in my web store. It is a item anyone could purchase even if they do not own a Atari machine. It is one way a lot of people help to raise money for various projects. I would prefer someone to have something physical for their money, but of course price of a multiple shipping across the world can result in the been expensive. In which case simple donations page may be more suitable.

Though it is also possible that people who are making small purchases from my store, basically paying more postage than the item is worth some cases. Shipping is of course very expensive lately and the prices are only ever on the increase, so this problem is only going to get worse. At least if I sold an item such as a mug people could also purchase this and make it better value for them with the postage, and it also helps increase contributions via my web store.

I did open a thread here while ago now selling more general items in my store which may help people, though so far no one has suggested anything. I have started selling small magnifiers in my web store is a basic tool which I use myself and people should find helpful with soldering etc. though I do not want to purchase boxes full of tools to sell in my store just on the off chance that they will sell as this is counter-productive and will ultimately end up costing me more money.

Of course this is never a easy subject and of course get quite deep and complicated. While creating the mugs would be a initial outlay, would people likely by the mug on small orders anyway, or even big orders ? I guess it is not really cost effective for people to just by the mug if they are the other side of the world, but it may help with people who are purchasing smaller items from my store and it will ultimately make the postage costs a little bit better value. Of course a mug is just a example which could be done relatively easily.

DONATIONS PAGE
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/ ... donate.htm

WEB STORE
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

mikro

Re: Donations and contributions, ideas and thoughts

Post by mikro » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 am

I don't know, I'm not really into this mug idea. Honestly, I'd feel much more comfortable if you told us something like: guys, I would finish those Falcon PSUs (yes, what a coincidence I'm mentioning them ;)), but I had to pay 200 quids to my cat's vet so I need to raise those funds first -- from the store or from your donations. In that case I'd be super-motivated to donate, regardless of the final delivery time because in my mind, I have just donated the money to get my PSUs earlier. Win-win. ;)

Another approach would be doing preorders only. I.e. you see there's an interest for five PSUs, you know now you have some time to do it, you mail those people guys, it's time to send your money, people will send money, you build the PSUs, done. No resources wasted.

DrF

Post by DrF » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 pm

mikro wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 am
I don't know, I'm not really into this mug idea.

I think if you used one of those services like CafePress, Amazon Merch, Zazzle that print on demand there's no upfront cost and no holding onto stock, let them do it all and take the change for R&D.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm

mikro wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 am
I don't know, I'm not really into this mug idea. Honestly, I'd feel much more comfortable if you told us something like: guys, I would finish those Falcon PSUs (yes, what a coincidence I'm mentioning them ;)), but I had to pay 200 quids to my cat's vet so I need to raise those funds first -- from the store or from your donations. In that case I'd be super-motivated to donate, regardless of the final delivery time because in my mind, I have just donated the money to get my PSUs earlier. Win-win. ;)

Another approach would be doing preorders only. I.e. you see there's an interest for five PSUs, you know now you have some time to do it, you mail those people guys, it's time to send your money, people will send money, you build the PSUs, done. No resources wasted.
The mug idea was for people who did not want anything from my store, but wanted to contribute. I would rather someone buy something than just donate cash as said already. Though it may be better value for people just ordering a small item as postage is a lot, so a mug will help fill in a lot of gaps.

As said also, pre-orders just does not work. 5 orders is pretty insignificant as I basically have to buy stuff in bulk to get the parts cost down (more like 50 psus) . Otherwise the PSU price would jump £10+ easily. Either way it creates more work for myself.

Your other comment is basically "buyers promises" this does not work either unfortunately. 30+ people wanted PeST, 4 sold. Its just how things are with people. Everyone wants everything until its time to pay, and they vanish. Been like that since day 1.

As for PSU's, they are being worked on. I'm looking to get the cables made to speed things up. I just don't have time or proper tools to do them myself. It will cripple the profits but nothing i can do other than increase the price again.

If I knew 100+ would sell, I would get them all made in China. Assembly over a lot of boards wouldn't increase PSU cost to much I think, maybe £5 or so. Though would be ultra quick to get them done. Though I am not gambling £1,000's on it.

As you may have seen I am looking to change the PSU design into something quicker to build at the moment. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=255
If I can do away with some caps and use more SMT parts then I could half the assembly time.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.