CRT shader for SteemSSE

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
MattiasGustavsson

CRT shader for SteemSSE

Post by MattiasGustavsson » Sun May 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - but for those who like CRT/TV emulation filters for their retro gaming, I have hacked my CRT shader into SteemSSE - it can be downloaded here: https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/steem-crt
steemcrt.png
steemcrt.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 772 times
I bundled it with some demo versions of games, to make it more "newbie friendly", but for those already running SteemSSE you can just grab the exe from the zip and put it alongside the regular one.

The source integration is not very clean, it is quick and dirty - the code is also available from the link above.

stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: CRT shader for SteemSSE

Post by stephen_usher » Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 pm

It looks like your emulated CRT needs tweeking... It seems that the guns are slightly out of alignment and the focus needs fixing.

Do you have some virtual plastic screw drivers at hand? ;-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Sun May 03, 2020 11:25 pm

Great work Mattias! :dualthumbup:

I love CRT emulation in emulators. Apart from SainT, no one else seems to have bothered...until now!

Thankyou! :cheers:

MattiasGustavsson

Post by MattiasGustavsson » Mon May 04, 2020 6:25 am

Yeah, the SainT CRT is great - and I think Leonard has got those virtual plastic screw drivers that I don't :D

I guess the SainT CRT is more about emulating a high-end CRT monitor, while mine is more about emulating a low-end old TV, with an RF connector :geek:

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Mon May 04, 2020 8:06 am

MattiasGustavsson wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:25 am

Yeah, the SainT CRT is great - and I think Leonard has got those virtual plastic screw drivers that I don't :D

I guess the SainT CRT is more about emulating a high-end CRT monitor, while mine is more about emulating a low-end old TV, with an RF connector :geek:
Not sure about the Amiga/ST games, but there were loads of C64 demos/games that used the colour bleed/distortions from a low quality display output to their advantage. I even remember one C64 demo which used the RF noise of the TV to play back a sample!

What youve done will be fine for games. Not so sure about high res text readers! :lol:

Cyprian

Post by Cyprian » Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am

awesome

@MattiasGustavsson I would suggest to you contact with Steven. Would be cool to have integrated it into Steem.
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

MattiasGustavsson

Post by MattiasGustavsson » Mon May 04, 2020 12:25 pm

@Cyprian I have really just hacked my code into SteemSSE, just enough for it to work. To do a proper integration suitable for the real SteemSSE code base would likely take much more time, and that is time I don't have, unfortunately. But the code is available from my github, so there's always the hope that some day someone else will take it up and carry it on :)

Return to “CHAT FORUM”