How do you organise your retro stuff, where do you keep it?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
bartekmalysz

How do you organise your retro stuff, where do you keep it?

Post by bartekmalysz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:39 pm

I'm sure many of you ran at some point into organising issue, when taking into account your retro collections, spares, wires, tools, you name it, you realise that it is eating up your living space (I'm already strictly forbidden from bringing / connecting any more stuff in living room :lol: )

I hoarded over time loads of stuff, started selling some as I have no time for restoration, but today I gathered everything I have, and it, oh my, help me Jesus :lol:

I have boxes, bags, boxes, storage boxes, more bags and boxes. Stuff all over the place. How do you organise it, where do you store it?

I have several items in perfect condition, boxed, I would be reluctant to take it to storage service or keep in shed. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Tomswork

Re: How do you organise your retro stuff, where do you keep it?

Post by Tomswork » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:44 pm

My wife chases me around saying not there and when she stops that's the correct place in the house. Also the cat has his input if I use his sleeping spots

Tom

arkadiusz.makarenko
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Everywhere except toilet and kitchen... a matter of time to start taking over the kitchen :D
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Icky
YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/yals4a3k

Post by Icky » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm

A long while back I did box everything up and seal it, putting it up in the loft and bought a MiST to be able to do the retro stuff on a small footprint but then I joined the @exxos forum things went a bit crazy.

Now my office is where the current stuff happens and the loft is for the retro kit I don't use that often. The office looks like a bomb site and to boot I have the Giant Panda printer sat by the patio doors.

As long as I confine all the retro kit to the office and loft I am safe.

I have been contemplating selling part of my collection but can't bring myself to part with it just yet.

stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by stephen_usher » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:06 pm

I only have a few items in their original boxes. Let's see, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, QL, Memotech MTX500, 520STM. I think that's it. Boxes are bulky.

As for where it's stored, in the loft.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Dan1975

Post by Dan1975 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:27 pm

I have mine in the big French oak coffee table chest that we have in the living room and just get out whatever I fancy playing with at the time. Bit of a pain at the moment as the wife has started doing a jigsaw puzzle on top of it so can't get into it! Lol

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Post by exxos » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:19 am

Icky wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm
A long while back I did box everything up and seal it, putting it up in the loft and bought a MiST to be able to do the retro stuff on a small footprint but then I joined the @exxos forum things went a bit crazy.
Happy to help :lol: :2k2:
Icky wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm
The office looks like a bomb site and to boot I have the Giant Panda printer sat by the patio doors.
While the saying is normally, "cluttered room, clutter mind", I think its more "cluttered room, active mind" ;)

People with tidy work places need therapy :lol: :hide:
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

mikro

Post by mikro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 am

A while ago I used to be the same but even though I have a big flat and no kids/wife yet, I have come to the conclusion that there's no way I'm going to ever use and/or play with everything I have. So I let my Amiga 1200@060 go, I let my unused Falcon go, I let my half-disassembled hardware go, I'm seriously considering to let my Jaguar+CD go. Kept only XEGS/STE/MegaSTE/TT/Falcon for fun.

It's really simple - if you don't use it, let it go. Someone else might buy it and do something cool with it.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:40 am

@mikro very good point and one I've been thinking of doing myself.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

bartekmalysz

Post by bartekmalysz » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 pm

mikro wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 am
I'm seriously considering to let my Jaguar+CD go.

Interested, always wanted a Jag :D

Return to “CHAT FORUM”